♡ you promised you wouldn't get hurt || yoon jaehyuk

✩ YOU PROMISED YOU WOULDN'T GET HURT ✩

"I'm kind of getting late, Mr Choi. I have a meeting with Mr Kwon too. He said he wanted to give me some documents. Could you tell me why you called me here?"

You sat across the table, taking small bites of the lunch the minister was treating you to.

"Are you sure Y/N is undercover right now? They look like they're just having dinner with the enemy to me." Doyoung huffed, not seeing why they were depending on a police officer to get dirt on some influential people. "Will this even work?"

The police authorities always cover up the evidence as soon as the word was given from their seniors. Kim Doyoung had the experience of utter frustration upon learning the so-called righteous authorities were subjected to bribery and other unethical acts.

So, in his eyes, he didn't see why they were trusting another police officer who worked amongst the other traitors.

"Mr Kwon? Documents about what?" Mr Choi's eyes widened upon hearing your little lie.

"Something about your company; Choi Textiles."

"My company?! How dare that crazy jerk?! He isn't the only one. I got dirt on him too. I will hand it over to you if you can cover up my tracks."

Yoon Jaehyuk turned to Doyoung with a proud smile, sighing in relief. "It worked. Mr Choi is handing over documents of Kwon Industries. We'll be able to find some kind of dirt now," he explained.

Ten minutes later, Mr Choi's assistant walked inside with a bunch of documents. Jaehyuk couldn't wipe the smile off his face as he watched you successfully scam the executive.

After CEO Choi had left, you remained in your seat, confusing the two prosecutors who were watching you. "Fifteen minutes more," you mouthed from afar, pointing at your watch. "Time me." You smiled before winking at the two.

"What are they doing?" Doyoung inquired, wondering if his senior had any clue.

Furrowing his brows, Jaehyuk stared at the restaurant door, watching as CEO Kwon walked in. "Y/N's killing two birds with one stone." The proud smile came on his face once again, looking down at his watch before training his eyes on you — not wanting to lose sight of you even for a second.

And just like you had promised, within fifteen minutes, another packet of documents was passed your way before CEO Kwon left. You picked the papers, grinning ear to ear as you made your way towards your best friend, handing him the documents with childlike excitement.

"I told you I'd get the evidence you needed."

"Never doubted you for a second, Y/N."

***

Stepping on the accelerator, you drove as fast as you could, multitasking as you rang your best friend's phone, breaking all the road laws as you thought about his safety.

"Answer the damn phone, Yoon Jaehyuk!" You yelled frustratedly, trying again and again when he didn't. "Please don't get hurt, Jaehyuk. Please." You prayed, recalling the main reason you were in such a frantic state.

"That Prosecutor Yoon is a big obstacle, CEO Kwon. You should do something about him. Because if I'm being exposed, I'm taking all of you down with me."

"Don't worry. He went to the slum area to help the people there because of the virus outbreak. I'll send someone to take care of him quietly."

You merely dropped by the Kwon Industries as formality — mostly because the higher-ups thought you were a corrupted officer who'd bend to their will. No one really knew how you had them swaying to your music from the start. But things went south as you overheard the conversation the directors had, leaving the establishment in a rush as all you could think about was keeping Jaehyuk safe.

You had to protect your world, after all. And Yoon Jaehyuk was your world.

Arriving at the supposed slum with the virus outbreak, you quickly contacted the health and safety department, getting yourself into protective gear thanks to the authority you had with your position.

"Jaehyuk! Yoon Jaehyuk!" You yelled, searching for your best friend amidst the crowd of prosecutors and officers who had arrived to help. "Where the fuck are you?" Your heart was at your throat, fear engulfing you as you tried to find him before it was too late.

"Y/N?" Jaehyuk's familiar voice called out, and you immediately turned around, letting out a sigh when you saw your best friend in front of you. "What are you doing here?"

Your lips quivered, chest constricting at the relief you felt. "Why didn't you answer your phone?! I was worried sick!" You raised your fist, weakly hitting the male in front of you.

Jaehyuk confusedly smiled, slowly raising his hand to wipe the tear that fell down your face. "Sorry, I guess I lost it," he apologized, letting you hit him. "Some people chased us as soon as we came here. It could be CEO Kwon's or CEO Choi's doing, but I'm not sure."

As long as you aren't hurt. You thought to yourself, wrapping your arms around Jaehyuk as you pulled him into a hug. I don't know what I'd do if you got hurt.

"It's both of them. I was over at Kwon Industries when I heard them talking about doing something to you, so I came over as quickly as I could. But I guess you don't need me to protect you–"

Time slowed for Yoon Jaehyuk as your words fizzled out, followed by a quiet gasp. Looking down at your figure he was hugging, the male's eyes widened upon seeing the red patch on your back that seemed to spread.

"Y/N? Y/N!" He didn't want to believe his eyes, not knowing what to do as you leaned on him. "Doyoung, don't just stand there! Call a fucking ambulance!"

You blinked a few times, letting out a groan at the pain you felt in your back. "What h-happened?" Your voice was quiet, oblivious to what was happening. "Are y-you hurt, Jaehyuk?"

"No, nothing happened. I am okay. You are okay." The male nodded, fighting back his tears as he laid you over his lap as he sat on the ground. "You are gonna be fine, yeah? You are strong. I know you will be fine."

This is it. You knew upon seeing your best friend's eyes. This is it for me. Jaehyuk was never great at lying, but even if he managed to make up something, his eyes gave away the truth. 

And in that moment, looking into his eyes, you knew there wasn't much hope.

"I'm s-sorry, Jaehyuk. I really am." You choked out, raising your hand to hold the male's face. "Don't cry, p-please. It hurts ... hurts more when you do." You wiped away his tears despite your blurring vision.

"You promised me, Y/N!" Jaehyuk cried, tears falling down his cheeks as he held you in his arms. "You promised you wouldn't get hurt! You can't do this to me!"

"But I had to p-protect my world, y-you know? I'm sorry for breaking my promise, but ... but I don't regret it. Even if I-I don't make it, I w-won't regret it, Yoon Jaehyuk."