91. Family Secrets (Demetri Volturi x Reader)

Start from the beginning

Your mother's illness was very aggressive so much so you had been forced to face the fact that you thought she'd be around for many decades yet, you woke up one morning to the fact that she only had months left. She eventually stopped working and had a couple of appointments with lawyers. It didn't take long for you to figure out why such meetings were happening.
It became clear that any well moment she had, she was tying up loose ends. The house would be taken care of, as well as her burial, her money going to you in inheritance.
However there was one thing that you refused to think about and she struggled to bring up. An even further harsh reality that not everything could be fixed.
You were still young. Whilst late teens, you were still regarded a child. You had no other family to live with or contact, it was more than likely that you'd be put into the foster system for at least a year and then be left to figure it out on your own. Secretly you couldn't help but feel anger towards your mother for that.
This is what happens! You would think to yourself internally. This is what happens when kids don't have family!

As time went on, hospital appointments became admissions. That was when you had to start packing some things for her and that was when you found even more things. Your brow furrowed to find some old letters, they weren't recent. You could tell by their condition but they weren't dated. You quickly skimmed the letter, this was someone your mother was romantically involved with. That was clear but who it was from wasn't so clear.
There had been no mention of you and the more you read the more apparent it became that this letter as well as the others were older than you. All were written and initialed by the same person. 'D.V.'

You didn't know anyone by those initials and to your recollection, neither did your mother. Or at least that's what you thought. It made you wonder if you knew your mother at all. You kept your discovery a secret. You didn't even know what you were looking at after all, some of the writing, you couldn't understand. This person's handwriting was elegant and neat and in complete cursive. You'd have to sit down properly and read them to try and understand what had been written.

After a couple of nights studying these letters you found nothing. They weren't important, love letters that provided no context. Your thoughts drifted to your mother. She was weaker now, curled up in her hospital bed in Forks. Although she was just as grim as always.You wondered if you should tell her what you discovered, be honest about your discovery. You pictured her in the same spot you left her on that bed, night fall outside with blue-ish lights in various sections of the room. She preferred to be alone and luckily she was given her own room. Although you wondered if it wasn't so much lucky as it was a favour for other patients. People who were dying weren't usually in wards, they were in private rooms. Dying peacefully and out of sight for some dignity. It was hard to picture that she could be one of those people, but it was a reality you had to face. Even if with everyday, you waited to hear from doctors when she got to go home. However, all they ever told you in gracious terms was that those chances got slimmer each passing day.
You imagined a doctor entering with a warm smile, a smile beyond his years as well as his wisdom.

"You're working the night shift tonight?" Your mother would ask him.
"Yes, Ms (L/N)." The doctor would nod, his appearance and his voice being something of an angel. "I'm here to check up on you. How are you feeling today?"
"Like a useless bag of bones," Your mother would mutter. "useless."
"You are most certainly not useless." The doctor would smile with sad eyes yet a twinkle would still resonate, as though he knew this to be fact. "You're a mother after all."
She nodded. "They won't need me anymore. They're grown up."
"My wife likes to believe our children, no matter how old, will always be children."
Your mothers mouth twisted. "She is correct, Doctor. We would do anything for our children." She seemed distracted almost immediately. "Would you turn on the TV?"