85. Heart Break (Marcus Volturi x Reader)

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

-----

You were very young when taken in by Marcus, around three or four years old. It wasn't easy for either of you, the two of you only becoming truly comfortable with one another by the time you were six. In that time, your bond had become almost unbreakable and you in particular had become very close to Marcus. For not even a second, did Marcus regret his decision of taking you in, even when things were at their worst. To be a parent was certainly a gift and the precious moments he had with you was his reward.Although everyone could tell you knew something wasn't right with Marcus. Not that he was a vampire but instead that he seemed sad, all the time. In fact that seemed to be the major barrier between the two of you.

"Oh my..." Marcus could help but chuckle at the mess you hair was in. The front was well done, but the back was knotted worse than it likely was when you woke up.
"What on Earth happened here?" Marcus walked into the bathroom.
"I couldn't get them out!" Your tiny voice replied. "Then it was taking too long!" Marcus chuckled, you were just like Didyme.
She too was never patient enough to fix her hair. It drove Sulpicia to madness that Didyme just couldn't sit still for that sort of thing.
She preferred to be outside or even reading, doing anything other than that. Didyme always had been an adventurous girl, even as a child and specks of that nature seemed to resonate in you.
"Patience is key, my dear." Marcus smiled, remembering he'd had to say the same to Didyme many times before. "Now let's see if we can fix this, hm?" Marcus picked up the comb. "Let me know if it pulls, understand?"
You nodded. Marcus was careful to separate the knotted hair to give it selective attention. Slowly and lightly pulling the comb on the ends. As he made his way up, knots he remembered many times Didyme standing in front of him.

"Blast these things!" Didyme huffed. "No ones hair is supposed to sit like this!" Marcus chuckled. "Patience is key, my love."
Marcus hands were weaving into Didyme's hair, removing every little pin that kept her hair in place. "I'm never letting Sulpicia touch my head again! Mark my words! She overdoes it every time!"
"Nearly done..." Marcus reassured Didyme.

Marcus' eyes lifted to yours in the reflection. "Nearly done..." He barely managed the words out as he realised how similar the scenes were.
Instead of it being an impatient Didyme, it was his impatient child's hair he was fixing.
"There. Now to smooth it out and it'll be done." Marcus frowned slightly, his lips moving into a tight line, doing his best not to get upset in front of you.
He noticed your eyes flicker up at him through the mirror.
He exhaled, doing his best to hide his heartbroken expression from you.
"There, all done." Marcus briskly left the room without another word.
"Thank you..."
He heard you say quietly. He kept walking, a hand covering his mouth.

No one could forget the first time you asked about Didyme.
It was when Caius took you to bed one night. "Uncle Caius?"
"Yes, sweetie?" Caius said quietly as he made sure you were tucked in.
"Do you know why Dad is so sad sometimes?"
Caius paused, looking at you. He was uncertain of how to answer since you were so young but perhaps it was better you knew rather than being kept in the dark. Caius lay down beside you and you immediately leaned into him.
"A very long time ago, your father was married. Sadly, his wife passed on and sometimes he is very sad because he misses her."
"Where did she go?"
"We don't know, sweetheart. Some of us would like to think she's now in heaven."
"Like an angel?"
"Yes, my dear, a beautiful angel watching over us all, even you." Caius smiled slightly at you.
"Will dad get a new wife?"
Caius looked over at you, somewhat sadly. "No, sweetheart. No, I don't think so."