64. Love Letters (Marcus Volturi x Reader)

https://like-rain-or-confetti.tumblr.com/

-----------

"Plato once said 'At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.'
Clearly Plato never met me. He'd never speak such definitive words if he had met me. I was never good with words. Although perhaps my attempt does give some form of credit."

The first letter Marcus received was a surprise. So much so that he couldn't even determine is the surprise was welcome or not. He didn't recognize the handwriting and the scent of the sender was long gone. Whoever this was, they were determined to stay hidden.
He ran his fingers gently over the paper that had been folded into three. Being one of three leaders of the Volturi meant that all eyes were on him.
That is how he felt with this letters contents. The sender was looking at him. Yet he couldn't see the person he had received the letter from.
Very few speak of such minds in the Volturi. They, like the world has, will consider them simply thoughts of the past. Yet such dated thoughts was oddly comforting to Marcus. However the question remained as to who could have sent him the letter in the first place.

You moved forward, not even casting a glace to the elite guards or anyone else in the room. Your eyes trained on Renata. She had been ignoring you ever since you gave the orders to the guard that they would not be reshuffling their duties for guarding the wives. You found it unnecessary and a waste of time given the number of lower guards who still required training.
Guards such as Chelsea weren't required in the throne room. She was required with the wives, aiding Corin.
"I need to speak with you." You said curtly.
Renata gave you a sharp look but said nothing, looking down at the records of who was going where for the next two weeks at least.
"I'm certain that whatever it may be, you can deal with it yourself." She said coldly.
"Renata-" You began but she cut you off.
"Here's how this works..." Her voice was calm, yet is was clear she grew more agitated by the very sight of you. "...I am Aro's personal guard. You give recommendations. I make the decisions."
"No," you shook your head. "that is not how it works."

The twins, Felix and Demetri turned to watch the exchange between you both as Renata got louder.
"You went behind my back and distributed orders and undermined me!" She rose to a stand.
"No, I saved you from a poor decision!"
"I am supposed to trust you and I cannot do so when you are not supporting my decisions and undermining them!" She huffed, lowering her voice once more. "This is my job and you're intruding on my job."
"No," You said lowly with a stiff jaw. "No, this is not your job, Renata. You do not own this job. The Volturi owns it. You hold this job until the Volturi decide they want you replaced. You serve the Volturi and you protect the Volturi, that is all. We are supposed to make those decisions together because we are our masters personal guards. You didn't not consult me and made orders on your own regard, expecting me to accept it. I did not agree with the decision you made to reshuffle the placement of the guards and so it will not be passed under my name as well as yours."
Suddenly Renata yelled, anger making itself known upon her face. "I have been in the his position longer than you have been alive! I am the one considered to blame if the guard fail! I don't care what you're comfortable with! As long as you know that you follow my decisions, you support me completely, even if it means I'm dragging you into fire by your hair!"
You stared each other down as the elite guards stared the both of you down. You forced a small smile with a hum that sounded more like a huff.

"There's something you need to understand, Renata. I thought you'd have known by now but allow me to explain to you. You can scream and pull out your hair from that skin tight bun you have in your hair and it's not going to change." You said icily. "One; you do not ignore me because two; I'm not going to knowingly steer you off the edge. If I say no, if I use my time, fixing things after you then consider yourself lucky that I care enough about your ass to fix it without mention so that you don't get hell from our masters. Finally, you and I are together on this. We are a team. No one else. It's just you and me. Now that you're done screaming to the heavens, I can explain myself. We have fifteen new guards, waiting to be trained. Some may stay, some may go. We cannot afford to have someone gifted like Chelsea, guarding the leaders during trials whilst someone such as Jane is guarding the wives. Chelsea is not trained for that. Those four..." You pointed to the twins, Demetri and Felix. "...are our command. They need to stay here in trials as well as training lower guards. I'm on your side. If you think those lower guards aren't laughing at the two of us scrambling after one another, you're deluded. They think that us being in a high position is novelty. Show them it's the norm!" The more you spoke, the more angry you got as it crawled into your voice. "Whilst you're at it, consider me for what I am! I am Caius' personal guard and I earned it. I climbed the ranks and there's a reason why I did so quickly. You act as though I intend to replace you which I do not. I intend to work with you. So treat me with some damn respect because if you haven't noticed I'm a shield too. Physical and mental that's double of you." You finished with a snarl and stormed out, slamming the door.
The room shook slightly and it went silent.
"Damn." Felix gawked looking at the now closed door you left from.