68. Jacob Black - Imprinting

ابدأ من البداية

This was your best friend — the boy you'd fallen in love with — and after years and years of being there for each other, he didn't even have anything to say to you anymore.

"That's fine," you spat, voice breaking like glass. "Don't say anything. Don't pick up the phone when I call. Don't let me know that you're okay. Ignore me, Jacob. Because I deserve that after all we've been through."

You jostled past him and as you walked away, Jacob seemed to finally snap out of it. He called after you, voice thick and raw with something you couldn't identify, but it was your turn to ignore him.

--

Surprisingly, Jacob seemed to disappear from your thoughts after your confrontation. It was almost as if a weight had been lifted off your chest – almost. There was no denying that the greater part of you still ached without him but letting him go was the only thing you could do. You convinced yourself it was better that way – if you didn't waste any more time on him – because it would save you the heartbreak. Though, really, your heart was already shredded from everything he'd done. Still, you were dead set on protecting whatever bits of it were left.

It was your turn to ignore his calls. Your positions had reversed instantly after you'd yelled at him; Jacob was now the one pestering your parents endlessly with calls asking for them to let you talk to him, as if they were the reason you had cut him off. It would have been almost funny if you weren't so upset.

What you hadn't expected was for Jacob to show up at your school.

He stood in front of his dirt bike, a gift from Bella. Thinking of her left you with a sour taste in your mouth. It was bad enough that she was in your Calculus class; she was a constant reminder of Jacob Black and the things that could have been.

Jacob wore a tight black shirt that accentuated every muscle in his torso. His arms were tense, his native tattoo on display. Your heart skipped a beat – or two, or three – when his brown eyes landed on you.

Behind you, you heard Bella's voice.

"Jacob? What are you doing here – why haven't you answered my calls?"

So you weren't the only one he'd been ignoring. But you were certainly the only one he'd bothered to try and make amends with. You couldn't help but revel in that.

"I'm not here for you, Bella," Jacob said, his voice thicker than usual. His eyes were still fixated on you, solemn and beautiful in a morose way. The look on his face reminded you of Sam Uley and you didn't like it at all.

You shook your head, knowing exactly why he'd come to see you. His apologizes meant nothing to you. You'd done everything for the boy – been everything for the boy – and he'd always pushed you to the side for Bella. You weren't going to have any of that anymore.

"(Y/N), please," Jacob pleaded. "You have to listen to me."

A crowd had started to form. Bella was now beside you, her face settled into the same expression of pain she'd worn since her boyfriend had dumped her and left town. Jacob had been her best friend too, so you knew exactly what kind of agony she'd gone through trying to figure out why he'd suddenly stopped talking to her, but you still couldn't sympathize with her. She'd stolen him from you. Jacob had been yours first. She'd ignored him for months because of how in love she'd been with her boyfriend, and now that he'd skipped town, Jacob was the rebound.

It was completely and utterly selfish and Jacob deserved better.

"Jake, why won't you talk to me?" she asked.