𝙏𝙒𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙔-𝙏𝙒𝙊

"Life is much better when you're living in the present moment"
-Unknown-
*long chapter at least 5,000 or 6,000 words, i'm so sorry*

"Life is much better when you're living in the present moment"-Unknown-*long chapter at least 5,000 or 6,000 words, i'm so sorry*

It's been weeks since Joseph Perez came back into Maya's life. He was gone but Maya still thought about him every day. How could she not, when she had multiple bruises to prove it. Maya stands in the bathroom that connects to her room and raises her head after washing her face with cold water. She takes a long deep breath before using a soft towel to dry her face when suddenly a knock is heard at her door.

Maya turned off the faucet and made her way to the front door. She opened it to reveal Derek with two coffees. "Hey" Derek greets before Maya allows him to enter. Every day for the past couple weeks Derek comes over to make sure Maya is okay despite her saying she's fine and he doesn't have to check on her. He insisted on doing so.

"Are you okay?" Derek wonders as he sets the coffee's down on the kitchen counter. "I'm fine. I tell you that every-time you come here" Maya jokes. "You really don't have to check on me. None of you do" Maya says as she points to the flowers, get well cards and balloons over in the living room area that the rest of the team has sent over.

Maya was grateful that they cared but she didn't want them treating her any differently because of what she went through.

"Well, you can stay here but I have to go to the bank" Maya says as she grabs her keys off the hook by the front door. "Let me take you, or at least ride with you" Derek suggests, "I don't need you to go everywhere with me. I can handle myself" Maya declares as she opens her front door.

"Maya, seriously" Derek warns. "Derek, seriously. There's a spare key in the drawer below the cabinet and if you so happen to lock yourself out, there's a key in the mulch" Maya informs while Derek knits his eyebrows in confusion. "Mulch?" Derek questions.

"Well, in the plant or under the mat is too easy" Maya says before she leaves the house, shutting the door behind her, not caring that Derek's in her house since he's been there almost every day for the last couple weeks.

"Maya!" Derek calls out as he rushes out of her house. "What?" Maya questions, turning to look at him as he brings up her gun and holster that also has her badge attached to it. "At least take this" Derek states.

"I'm off duty, I can't go around carrying a gun on my hip" Maya says as she pushes it away.

"Then keep it in your car, just take it" Derek urges before Maya takes it out of his hands. "Fine, if it makes you happy, I will" Maya says, locking eyes with Derek who has a cheesy smile on his face. "It does make me very happy" Derek says making Maya shake her head jokingly before getting in her car, placing her gun in the glove department and her badge in her pocket.

_____

Later, Maya arrives at the bank. She gets out the car, using the keys to lock the doors of her car that's parked on the side of the road. Maya sees a woman and her baby, approaching the door and decides to open the door for her, letting them walk in first.