24⚖️

Over the next week I got a call in to talk to the judge about Jacob and I asked Julia to come along with me

"Kayden what do you think he's going to say?"

"I am hoping he reviewed all of our paperwork and will plan Jacob's release."

"Oh gosh, I hope it's that easy after ten years. This isn't anything I know about so I am nervous."

"I am nervous too but we have come so far that I am not giving up hope and if the judge doesn't let him out I am prepared to file appeals.

We pull into the parking lot and she reaches over and squeezes my hand. "We got this."

I squeeze her hand back. "Let's go!"

We are taken into the judge's chambers and I have so many scenarios running through my head.

When he walks into the room we both stand.

"Please take a seat but thank you for coming Mr. Cresswell and Ummm."

"This is Detective Holgate she's helping with the case."

"You have to be Violet's daughter because you look just like her." He laughed.

"That I am Judge." She smiles.

"I didn't need long to go over this case because I can clearly see the wrong person is in jail for this murder." He said.

Julia looks over at me and smiles.

"You two have all of your papers in order and I am preparing to release Jacob."

"Really?" Julia smiles.

"Yes! It will take a few days to get things in order but I am prepared to let him go. Otis Nice is the real murderer and I understand he is in jail now."

"He is," Julia said.

"Let's get murder charges on him and good work you two!"

"Thank you so much, Judge."

"I will get this motion on its way and I will have someone from my office call you so you can escort Jacob out of prison."

"Thanks again Judge for everything!" I smile.

Once out in the cruiser, Julia turns to me. "Let's go tell Jacob the good news."

"I second that!" I laugh.

We go into the room waiting on Jacob and I can tell that Julia can't wait to tell him.

"I think you should tell him."

Before she could answer Jacob was brought in. "Hey, guys!"

"We have news." Julia smiled.

Jacob smiled. "Well lay it on me."

"The judge is preparing your release!"

"What? Really?"

"Yes! Otis's DNA was under Sandy's nails and also his semen was inside her so we got him."

Jacob's chin begin to quiver and Julia jumped up and rushed around the table and hugged him.

"I can't thank you two enough." He cried.

"The judge needs a few days to get the order in but then we will be to get you."

"Wow, so I can tell my dad?"

"You can." I smile.

Jacob sits back and laughs and I have never felt better than I do right now helping the innocent.

Once we left I turned to her. "That was the best feeling!"

"You are telling me Kayden. I couldn't help but hug him. He has needed that for the last ten years."

"Let's go tell the Chief and your parents!" I laughed.

We walked into the station laughing and Violet smiles. "You two look happy!"

"Oh, mom we are! We did it and the Judge is preparing up the papers Jacob is getting released!"

"Oh, that's great." Coop smiled.

"We have to tell Chief." Julia smiled.

She knocked on his door and we went in to tell him what the judge said.

"I am so proud of the both of you. Can't wait to see him released. Now get on out of here and enjoy your day."

She locked up her desk and we headed out to the cruiser. "Lunch?"

"That sounds great Kayden."

On the way there I was thinking about how I could get involved in the Innocence Project.

"You are quite Kayden."

"Sorry just thinking about getting into the innocence project."

"Oh Kayden that would be wonderful."

We eat lunch and then went back to her place and went out on the deck for a while when we decided to walk down the beach and get slushies and cookies from Cookie Ground.

We were sitting under one of those umbrella tables enjoying our cookies when Nolan walked up.

"Why aren't you two working? Enjoying your victory?"

"Pretty much." Julia smiled.

"So that means your going home Kayden?"  He asked.

"Not yet." I smiled because I knew it was killing him.

"Can't be soon enough." He mumbled.

"Bye Nolan! We want to enjoy our cookies in peace please." Julia said.

He stomped off into the building and once he shut the door I looked at her. "He really hates me and he will be more
than happy when I'm gone."

"He might be but I won't."

I smiled at her because in the short time I know her I will miss her but I'm not sure I should say that.

"Kayden! You can't admit you will miss me too?"

"Something like that." I laugh.

After we eat our cookies we walk back up the beach drinking our slushies and when we got close to her house we sit down in the sand for a few minutes before we decided to put our beachwear on and head down to the water.

When she took her wrap off I wasn't prepared to see the bright yellow bikini. Lord help me.

"You alright Kayden?" She laughed.

"Yeah, I am good. Ready to get in the water?"

"Sure! The day sure is hot enough for it." She smiled as she stood up and I watched her walk down and put her feet in the water.

I am going to hell for imagining what she looks like underneath that yellow piece of fabric. If I don't stop looking my banana is going to pop up.

I jumped up and met her at the edge of the water before jumping in. That's one way to crush my boner.