13🚔

After lunch, we headed back home and I went upstairs to find my luggage and start packing when my phone rang

☎️ What's up chief?
☎️ Can you come back to the station? We got some results.
☎️ I will be right there.

I rush down to the living room to tell Kayden.

"They got some results! Chief wants me at the station."

"Let's go then." He smiled.

We made it to the station and walked in and straight to the chief's desk.

"Have a seat guys."

"What's up chief?"

"Well, there weren't enough fingerprints on the pipe to find Otis's, and the blood was only Sandy's."

"Well, shit chief."

"That's why I called you in. I need your help filing paperwork because we are going to have Sandy's body exhumed and see if anything is under her nails. That is if her body is still in good condition after ten years."

"Of course, I will help with the paperwork chief." I smile.

"So will I chief," Kayden said.

"Well let's get on it and then go enjoy your weekend and they won't get to it for a week or so I bet."

"Ok let me get the proper paperwork." He said.

We walked out to my desk and got settled and were laughing when Nolan walked over.

"I thought you were leaving?"

"As soon as I get these papers filed." I said never looking up at him.

Kayden leaned back in his chair and put his arm around me. "Anything else?"

"Whatever man." Nolan scoffed.

An hour later we had the paperwork done and handed it to the chief.  Before leaving I walked over to tell mom and dad bye.

"Stop by Cookie Grounds because Aunt Remi made cookies for you to take to Kayden's family."

"Sweet! Thanks, mom. I love you."

"I love you too sweetie."

I hug her and then hug dad before we head to Cookie Grounds.

"Can we get some cookies?"

"Of course, Kayden, or we will eat the ones for your parents." I laugh.

We walk in and Aunt Remi hugs me. "Get you some cookies and slushies and I'll go get the box of cookies."

"Thank you so much, Aunt Remi."

We sit down at a table inside and Joy brought over our cookies and Hunter was right behind her with our slushies.

"Are those two a couple?"

"Oh yeah, they started here as teens and have never left and fell in love and married."

"That's really cool and omg these cookies are out of this world. Does she ship?"

"Yeah, she does."

"Because my mom is going to want to order more."

Aunt Remi walks over with a couple of boxes. "I gathered an assorted amount and also made some wedding cookies."

She opened the box and I was in awe at what she had made. "Oh, Aunt Remi they are beautiful!"

"My mom and sister are going to love these. How much do I owe?"

"Oh, Kayden your money is no good here. Consider this a gift."

"Thank you, Remi."

She smiled and then leaned down kissing my cheek. "Have fun and be careful. Take pictures ok? You know I am a sucker for them."

After we eat we gathered up the boxes and put them in the jeep.

"That was very sweet of her."

"Aunt Remi is the best and she ships cookies and cakes near and far. People travel all over for her sweets."

"I can see why. That coconut cookie I think is my favorite."

"I love a bunch of them." I laugh pulling up at home.

We carry the cookies in when the doorbell goes off and I look at Kayden and walk over to the door and look in the peephole.

When I see Uncle Cam I swing the door open. "Hey, Uncle Cam."

"Hey! Hope I am not interrupting."

"Of course not. We just came from Cookie Grounds and got a bunch of cookies."

"I hear you are going away for the weekend?"

"Yeah Kayden's sister is getting married and I was invited. Aunt Remi even made wedding cookies."

"Can I have one?"

"No way! They are for his sister."

"Fine! I will go get my own and Kayden you better watch over my girl."

"I will Cam I promise."

"If you don't I will find you."

He turns and smiles at me and kisses my cheek and I couldn't help but laugh.  "Go home, gentle giant."

Once he left I went over and sit on the couch with Kayden.

"He really is a gentle giant."

"I can tell that he loves you and that's why he is worried."

My phone beeps.

📱 Julia our paperwork was approved and they will start the dig on Tuesday morning so make sure you are back.
📱 I will be back early Monday morning. See you then Chief!
📱 Alright have fun.

"So we got approved for the exhumation and it will begin Tuesday morning."

"That will be perfect timing Julia."

"Are you hungry Kayden?"

"What do you have in mind?"

"Chinese?"

"Yeah, that sounds delicious."

"Good I will get it ordered then and until it arrives I am going to go pack up those cookies." I laugh.

I heard the doorbell go off a little bit later and then Kayden called out my name and it sounds sweeter every time I hear it.

When I get downstairs he has it all laid out on the coffee table so I go and grab a couple of drinks and walk over and sit on the floor beside him.

"Didn't want to eat at the table Kayden?"

"No why not on the floor in front of the tv?"

"Sounds good to me." I smile over at him and at that moment our eyes locked and I could feel my body leaning into him when his face was right in front of me and our lips were almost touching the doorbell went off and I jumped back like I had been burnt.

"I should probably get that."

"Yeah, probably." He laughed.

I opened the door and Alissa was standing there smiling.