18⚖️

The next morning we woke up early and were packing up so we could head to the airport and get back to North Carolina

I didn't really need to take many items with me. Maybe more socks and underwear so I put them in a bag and asked Julia to put them in her luggage for me.

"Are they clean?" She laughed.

"Of course they are!" I laughed.

A little bit later we got in his jeep and headed to the airport to sit for a few hours.

By the time our flight was called, it was after lunchtime. We got on the plane and set side by side.

"I think I need a nap." She smiled.

"I am tired myself but as soon as we get off this plane I need food."

"Since we are coming back early my family is having family dinner later so we can make it."

"Oh, I am excited about all of the good food."

"You will fit right in Kayden." She smiled at me.

I actually can see myself fitting right in with her which I don't know how to feel about that.

When the plane landed we grabbed her bag and headed out to her jeep and headed straight to her parent's house. She called on the way there to say we were coming.

"Don't be nervous when you see so many people because my family is large."

"Hey you met mine so why not." I laughed.

"We pulled up and I recognized the houses that I saw the other day and we walked toward the beach.

A lady I hadn't met walked up and hugged Julia."

"Grandma this is Kayden and Kayden this is my Grandma Avah."

"It's nice to meet you Kayden. Come on in and get some food."

Once we sit down Julia introduced me to everyone else and boy it was a lot of people but the food looks delicious.

I recognized Remi and she smiled over at me. "Kayden I spoke to your mom this morning about a cookie order."

I couldn't help but laugh and Julia giggled. "She told me she was going to Aunt Remi."

"Thank you for the business." She smiled.

"So how is the case going?" Coop asked.

"We haven't heard of anything since we left. Why have you, dad?"

"No not a thing. Just Nolan mad that you are gone."

Julia looked over at me and rolled her eyes. "I wish he would go away."

"I told him to grow up and move on that you didn't want anything to do with him," Violet said.

"What did he have to say?" Gray asked.

"Just a bunch of cuss words nothing to worry about but later the Chief called him into his office but I'm not sure what happened," Violet said.

Julia's Grandpa Levi walked over and sit down beside me. "It's nice to officially meet you Kayden. I have heard a lot about you from this bunch."

"It's nice to meet you too. I love your place on the beach."

"We all are a bunch of beach bums." Levi laughed.

"Kayden here is a lake person and he took me to his favorite spot and we went fishing and I caught more than him." Julia smiled.

"That's my girl!"

"But I did beat her skipping rocks." I laugh.

"That's because I hadn't done that in a long time and apparently your mom taught you."

"Fine, you win." I laughed.

Cam laughed. "It's best to just give in to her."

"So how long will you be here?" Sierrah asked.

"Hopefully until the prisoner gets released."

"Yeah, we still have a long way to go," Julia said.

"That motel was shit then wasn't it?" Violet laughed.

"V really?" Coop laughed.

"It was horrible compared to the mattress at Julia's."

"Spare room right?" Cam asked.

Before I could answer the whole table erupted in laughter.

"Don't answer him he's just picking at you Kayden."  Julia smiles.

"He's about to make me sweat but yes spare room mattress." I laugh.

The rest of the time on the beach was fun. I played football with Cam and Coop and a few others until Julia came and sit down in the sand.

I walked over and sit down beside her. "You alright?"

"Yeah, I am good. It's just weird without my Grandpa Davis and Grandma Diane."

"I am sorry that they are no longer here Julia."

"Thank you, Kayden and I am sorry that Uncle Cam made you sweat."

"You said he's protective but even if I was sleeping in your bed I wouldn't announce it at the table." I laughed.

"Yeah not best. My mom told me when she was carrying for Aunt Sierrah she stood up at dinner and said I'm pregnant and it's not Coops it's Cam's and my grandpa and Uncle Gray almost tore him to shreds."

"Oh wow, that was a funny trick though."

"Not to them, they were ready to murder Cam."

"Look it's a shell!" I smiled handing it over to her.

"Your mom will love it."

Alissa sits down beside Julia. "Dad is getting the stink eye about you two sitting on the beach so I decided to come down here."

"Thanks, Alissa. I was telling him about when my mom told everyone she was pregnant with your dad's baby."

"Oh yeah, that didn't go over well so I heard."

"No, I don't think so." Julia laughed.

I loved to hear her laugh. It was so soft and sweet and sitting here on the beach beside her is where I want to be.

I could see myself moving here but I am putting the cart before the horse. I don't know if she even likes me that way.

I would love to kiss her but that's not professional at all. I am here to do a job and prove that Jacob is innocent.

"You ok over there?" She bumps into my arm.

"I am good just thinking about Jacob and hoping we can clear his name." I smiled over at her.