19🚔

Monday we informed Jacob we have other avenues to take and worked all day on different options and by Tuesday morning we headed to the station and then we all went out for the exhumation of Sandy Waters body

Tuesday morning we headed to the station and then we all went out for the exhumation of Sandy Waters body.

This is the first one I have witnessed coming out of the ground and getting to get a look at the body in the morgue.

When her casket was pulled up out of the ground all I could see is pink. It's sad that she was so young and lost her life and this is the end result.

Kayden walks over close to me. "It's a good sign that no water is pouring out of it."

"I didn't even think of that but your right. I hope she preserved well over the last ten years. You have been to one of these before?"

"Unfortunately I have but it didn't go so well because family showed up and they screamed and hollered."

"She only had a grandmother left and she died five years ago."

"Well, that's sad. Ready to go to the medical examiners to see how she looks?"

"Yeah, I have tried to prepare myself for that."

"If you can't Julia I can do it and just give you details."

I put my hand on his arm. "I appreciate that but let's see how I feel." I laughed.

We watched them strap the casket on the back of a rollback truck and we followed behind back around the building while people carried the casket inside.

I have been in this building many times but a dead body laying on a slab is still hard to swallow.

I am a detective now and I will have to see dead bodies but I am used to bloody ones, not rotting ones.

I stood back and watched as they took this crowbar thing and popped the lid of the casket up and as bad as I hated to look I wanted to see what was inside.

"Julia you can look. She actually looks like she just died." Kayden whispered.

I opened my eyes and walked closer to the casket and to my surprise he was right.

"She must have been embalmed well then?"

"Yeah, that's usually what it means." He said.

I watched as they scraped under her nails and got some skin particles and I pray some of those belong to Otis."

"How long will it take to get those back?" I asked.

"I will do my best Detective Holgate to get them to you by the end of the week."

"Thank you so much for everything!" I smiled.

"It's no problem."

We got in my cruiser and I took a deep breath. "It wasn't as bad as I had in my head Kayden."

"Oh, I have seen some doozies myself."

"How bad?"

"One was a skeleton and the other had some meat on their bones but the casket was full of bugs." He shuddered.

"That's kinda what I had in my head about Sandy. I pray there is evidence under her nails but what I don't get is why didn't they extract it before?"

"Shoddy police work?"

"That's what it sounds like to me."

We pull up at the station and as soon as we walked in Nolan came rushing over.

"Nolan I don't have time for your shit this morning!"

"I just wanted to say hi geez."

"Hi then," I said walking over to my desk.

As soon as we sit down my parents walked over.

"How did it go?" Mom asked.

"Better than I thought it would. She looked like she was just buried.

"That's a good sign, Julia," Dad said.

"Here's hoping they find something." I smile.

Kayden was on his phone doing something and when he looked up he laughed. "Jacob wants to see us."

"Let's go to the prison then."

I gathered up things and we headed to the jail. Once inside they brought Jacob in.

"Thanks for coming guys. I got word that Otis is bragging about killing Sandy. Now idk if it's true but Ken Q is who told me yesterday and he wants to talk to you guys.

"Thanks, we will follow up with him but we have another lead we are chasing but that's all I am going to say on that for now." I said .

"We appreciate all of the information Jacob and we will follow that lead and see if we can talk to him while we are here." Kayden said.

He went out and asked if we could speak to Ken Q and we were taken to another room.

We sit and wait on the man to come in and when they bring him in they handcuff him to the table.

"Thanks for meeting with us Ken. I am Detective Holgate and this is my associate Mr. Cresswell."

"Thanks for listening to me. I have a story for you."

"We are going to record this ok?"

"Sure sure."

"So what do you have for us?"

"I am not Otis's bunkie but we sit in the common area together and he was talking about his drug charge. He wouldn't be in general pop for long and we asked why and he said because he got away with murder."

"Did he go into detail?" Kayden asked.

"Yeah, he did he said her name was Sandy and he hit her with a pipe and another guy has been in jail for it. He was laughing and bragging about it."

"Thank you so much Ken that is the evidence that we need. If this goes to court we can count on you to testify?" Kayden asked.

"Oh for sure. I don't want anything out of it just want to help clear the dude's name."

"Thank you, Ken! We will be in touch."

By the time we got out to the cruiser, I hit the steering wheel and laughed. "Oh man, why would you tell?"

"Because he is stupid and probably still coming off of drugs."

"I pray we get proof under Sandy's nails."

"You and me both Julia." He smiles over at me.