22⚖️

Julia loves giving me the shock factor and I almost choked to death on my beer

"Are you ok Kayden?"

"I am good you are just something else."

"That is what everyone tells me." She laughed looking over at me.

We finish our beers and head inside and get ready for bed.

"Goodnight Kayden!"

"Goodnight Julia." I watch her walk up the hall before closing the door to my room.

I change clothes and lay in the bed staring up at the ceiling. I'm not sure how much longer I can go without kissing her.

It's not right and I know that I shouldn't because we are trying to work on a case not catch feelings and I'm not sure if it's feelings or if I just want to be inside her. Either way, it's wrong.

I roll over and scroll through social media before I drift off to sleep.

The next morning when my alarm goes off I take a shower and slip on some shorts and a tank top and head downstairs.

Julia was sitting at the bar drinking a cup of coffee.

"Morning!" She smiled.

"Morning Julia!"

"Coffee and cookies for breakfast." She laughs.

"That sounds perfect to me."

I grabbed a coffee cup and sit down beside her.

"I am not sure if we should go in and wait for the news or what." She said.

"That's why I didn't change."

Her phone rings. "It's the Chief."

I listen to her talk while I grab a cookie.

"Chief said come in they have news."

"Sounds promising." I finished my cookie and followed her upstairs.

By the time we made it downstairs she had on her detective outfit and I had on a suit and tie.

"You clean up good Kayden."

I smirked adjusting my tie. "So do you besides that gun."

"Hate my gun?"

"No, it just makes you look tougher than me." I laughed following her out to her cruiser.

She giggled and rolled her eyes. The car ride to the station was quiet. We were both thinking about the case and how we hope something shows Otis's DNA.

We walked in and went straight to the Chief's office.

"Hey, you two! Have a seat."

"Just tell us Chief."

He hands over a piece of paper to Julia and I leaned over to look at it as well and we both smiled when we saw that Otis's DNA was under Sandy's fingernails all this time.

"Oh man, we have him!"

"You and Kayden work well as a team Julia. We are going to bring charges upon Otis that way he can't get out of jail while you file all of your papers Kayden."

"Thanks, Chief we will get right on that now and then to talk to Jacob."

"Yeah, it's about time he deserves some good news." Chief smiled.

Kayden and I went into the conference room and did a happy dance. I couldn't help but laugh at her.

We high-fived each other. "We did it Kayden!"

"Yeah, we did!" Without thinking I pulled her into my arms and we hugged.

"Let's go get those papers filed." She smiled.

When we got to her desk her parents walked over. "So?"

"Oh, mom we did it! His DNA was under her nails."

"Hell yeah!" Coop chuckled.

"We will let you do your thing we just wanted to know." Violet smiled.

We got all of our paperwork filled out and then we went to the jail to talk to Jacob before confronting Otis.

When he walked in and set down Julia was smiling so big.

"Jacob we have the best news."

"Lay it on me please."

"Tuesday we had Sandy's body exhumed and took scrapings under her fingernails and the results came back today and it's Otis's DNA we have him, Jacob."

"Whaaaat?" He smiled.

"We filed the necessary paperwork to try and get you out of here," I said.

Jacob wiped his eyes. "Oh my god. I tried to tell people I was innocent but no one believed me. Thank you for believing in me."

"It's a pleasure. We are talking to Otis next and explaining what happened."

"Oh, I would love to be a fly on the wall." He laughed.

"We will be in touch with you soon." Julia smiled before they took him back out of the room.

"Now to get the fish." I laughed.

"We need to reel him in." She giggled.

We sit for a few minutes before Otis was brought in. He smiled when he saw us but I don't think he will be smiling when he leaves.

"Hi, Otis have a seat."

"Nice to see you both." He smiled.

I just stayed silent and let Julia do her thing.

"Otis I am not going to beat around the bush I am just going to get right to it."

"Alright."

"While you have been locked up we exhumed Sandy's body."

Otis's face turned white. "Why would you do that?"

"Because we have reason to believe that you killed her."

"Me?" He laughed.

"Yeah, you. You laughed and told people about it in jail and those people aren't your friends Otis!"

"Even if I did say something you have no proof."

"Wanna bet?" Julia fanned the papers in front of her.

"You are just bluffing."

"No, I am not Otis. What do you think we found under Sandy's fingernails?"

"Bugs?" He laughed.

I shook my head that really pissed me off.

"No dip shit your DNA so you myswell kiss your life goodbye because we are charging you with murder."

"What? This is a joke right?"

"Otis DNA doesn't lie and it was under her nails."

"That doesn't mean shit."

"I guess we shall see."

She stands up and knocks on the door and the guard walks in and takes him out of the room.

"Damn you are a badass."

"Glad you think so. Now let's make sure our ducks are in a row and keep him behind bars where he belongs."

We head back to the station when the Chief calls us back into his office.