[Chapter 17 part 3] Light - The Wall of Legends

Comenzar desde el principio

"What happens the third time?" Free asked.

"You end up outside the Isle, someplace perfectly safe yet exceedingly inconvenient. How far away depends on the HEAVENLY DAO's mood."

They halted over the plaza. An immense marble block hung over the far edge. Its surfaces was inscribed with hundreds of names arranged in an indecipherable order. Skimming, Light recognizing many. I must learn the rest.

"What's the logic behind the arrangement?" Free asked.

"It alternates." Kate answered. "Some days it's alphabetical in neat columns. Other times they're scattered randomly. Even the shape and size of the block can vary."

Discovering 'Lily Morgana', Light was disappointed, "Titles aren't included?"

"Since immortals acquire so many." Kate answered. "It'd create too much clutter."

"Thank heavens for that." Lily added. "'Living artillery' is one thing, but I gave myself a few monikers that'd be mortifying etched in stone. I can't believe how juvenile I was back then."

"Why's Arther's name still there?" Rose asked.

"If it updated immediately, it'd be 'abused'." Lily explained. "For instance, knowing exactly when Arther died would be very helpful, which is why the HEAVENLY DAO withholds the information. They mostly disappear after funerals."

"Are those the Walls of Saints on the left?" Rose asked.

"Yes," Kate nodded. "Notice how there are steps down? Height in this place corresponds to status. The path of the living gets lower much faster compared to the other side."

Kate gazed right at the black granite blocks, "The Walls of the Fallen... They greatly outnumber the living at every level. Be prepared for a trek to find a name which didn't belong to an immortal or a saint."

"We're attracting attention." Hope commented, peering below.

"They're speculating on who's inside." Lily said. "Don't worry, the glass is tinted. Anyway, we're done here."

They rose. Why? There's nothing above... Yet, Lily was studiously scanning the heavens. "There he is." She said. It took Light a moment to locate the tiny platform. On it sat a spear-wielding man with one leg dangling. Two in one day...

The man rose to greet them. Lily opened the gondola and waved, "Hi Siegfried. Could you make the platform larger?" She's awfully familiar with him...

"Hello, Lily." Siegfried answered. The stone beneath him tripled in size.

"That was wonderful." Dawn said "Can you make it even bigger?"

Siegfried chuckled and the terrace doubled again, "You really hate heights, don't you?"

Dawn pretended not to hear, "Thank you. It's easier to forget we're hovering over a void."

Once they'd disembarked, Lily addressed the immortal, "Why don't you introduce yourself to these eight?"

"It's nine, Lily." He corrected gently. "I've never met your daughter, Kate." Not missing a beat, he bowed majestically, "I'm Siegfried Royal. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"What?" Rose asked.

Siegfried smirked, "Omniscience. It's a perk the HEAVENLY DAO grants its agents. I can share its 'sight', spectate Enera from the perspective of any human, including their thoughts. You wouldn't believe how entertaining this can be. As to why I'm aware of you... Let's just say the HEAVENLY DAO makes recommendations."