Chapter 9

This hospital room has been my home for a week now. The stark white walls were burned into my retinas and the constant smell of cleaning chemicals were ingrained into my senses.

The police station got back to us quickly with the results of my fingerprints. Hoseok had informed me yesterday that I wasn't in their system. So, my identity still remained unknown. As for the sketch, no hits have come back on that either.

It was a little relieving to learn that I wasn't a criminal, and neither was the person that I drew. We both must be normal, ordinary law-abiding citizens. Which was great, but not for finding out who I am.

I sigh deeply as I stare into my bathroom mirror. I lift up a section of my brown hair and look at where the stitches were sewn into my head, closing a gapping gash. My hair had been shaved but it was in a place that wasn't noticeable. I was thankful for that.

The woman staring back at me in my reflection still remained a paradox. Though I have learned a few more things about myself. I have an obsession with rice, it's like my favorite thing to eat always. I love drawing and am quite good at it. I seem to prefer sappy love songs and also songs that make you want to dance.

A heavy sigh leaves my lips again as I walk out of the bathroom and back into my white cell. Hoseok swings into my room with that luminous smile of his. Making the impossibly white room even brighter. Sometimes I feel that looking at him is like staring into the sun.

"Morning sunshiiiine!" He sings and plops his butt down in the same chair he always collapses in. I walk past him and sit on the edge of my bed. I had a smile on my face now. He undeniably made me happy. I seem to have the same effect on him as well. It was an interesting trade off.

"We got back the results of your second MRI. Your brain swelling has gone down significantly! They're ready to release you from the ICU." A frown appears on my face, causing wrinkling in my chin. I was almost jutting my lower lip out.

"Re-Releasing me? To where?" Hoseok averted his eyes from mine, and I knew something was up. Being that he was the one I've been around the most, I picked up on his ticks. He always did this when he had bad news for me.

"Well." He starts, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. "They found a mental facility that can take you in." Hoseok finally lifts his eyes from the floor and looks at me to gauge my reaction. My heart stops beating inside my chest. A mental hospital? Was I really that crazy?

I look at my lap and fidget with my fingers. "Oh..." I whisper and feel tears sting my dry eyes.

We would be parting. I'd never see Hoseok again and I think that's what hurt my heart the most. I didn't want to go to a new facility. Everyone here was so nice and treated me amazingly. I had learned the names of so many of the workers. Like Janice the head baker in the cafeteria inside the hospital. She would bring me the freshest slice of a pie she just baked.

The screeching of Hoseok's chair moving makes my eyes shift up to him. He scooted closer and places his hand on top of mine. "I have a second option, if you're up for it." A small grain of hope blows into my heart like a gust of wind. My eyebrows lift slightly, and I patiently wait to hear the other choice.

Hoseok rubs his earlobe and looks away. I knew this habit as well. I didn't see it too much, but he did it when he felt shy or insecure. Which wasn't often at all. Hoseok radiated energy and charisma. I doubted there was anyone out there that could dislike him.

"I know it's not ideal. But you could come stay with me. I live alone in an apartment near the ocean." My face lightens, my eyebrows raise, his words surprised me. Hoseok takes my silence as a decline and continues to sell the idea. "I-I know you don't truly know me, but I think we've become good friends. And I absolutely loathe the thought of you being put in a lonely room inside a mental facility. You'd be around so many different types of people. I imagine...you'll be scared and feel alone in the world."

Hoseok locks his eyes with mine and his gaze about knocks the breath out of my lungs. "But you're not alone. You have me. Until you find your way back to your real family, I can be your family."

I can't stop the abrupt motion, my arms jolt out and I wrap them around his neck, giving him a tight hug. I burst immediately into tears. "I'd absolutely love that!" I choke out amidst the tears. I've never been happier than this moment right here. That I know of. This is the happiest I've felt in a week's time. Even now, when I'm about to be discharged, he was thinking of me. 

The soft chuckle that vibrates through Hoseok warms my heart. He pats my back, trying to comfort me. "I wouldn't leave you alone." I shake my head quickly, completely understanding and believing his words.

An angel was sent to me the day I was brought into this hospital. I could have been given any nurse. Anyone could have taken me into their care. But I was blessed with the sweetest, most caring man to watch over me. I truly felt blessed.

The situation wasn't favorable. But for the first time since I woke up, the dark clouds are breaking up. And barely peeking through those black clouds was tiny rays of sunshine. Rays of hope and joy.

Hoseok really was the sun. He called me sunshine but in fact, he was the one who resembled sunshine the most.

 He called me sunshine but in fact, he was the one who resembled sunshine the most