Maria's eyes were centered on a book that was in her hands as she slowly the page, not even bothering to look up, but she looked so painfully feeble in that moment. Her hair on her head was thinning, and she had aged significantly since Carol had seen her so many years ago. Carol honestly was not sure if her aging was from the cancer or from the many years that had passed since Carol last saw her. She supposed it could be a combination of both.

Regardless of the reason, it nevertheless broke her to see her like this.

"Well, don't just stand there like a weirdo. Let's get it over with. Come take my temperature or stick a needle in me if you have to," Maria spoke up, never taking her eyes away from the book as she let out a breath. Carol swallowed hard, trying to keep her voice strong, confident, and teasing as she mustered a response.

"Wasn't planning to stick a needle in you, but if I have to, can I stick you in the butt?" Carol questioned, attempting desperately not to sound as broken and purely hurting as she was right now.

Maria immediately looked up from her book, and as her eyes locked onto Carol, she froze, the book falling from her hands onto her lap as she just gaped. Carol remained still, just watching Maria calmly as she tried her best to not feel nervous.

"Carol?" Maria breathed weakly, her eyes looking somewhat glassy as she stared at her.

"Maria," Carol replied, her voice soft as she looked at one of her two favorite people in the world.

As Maria just looked at her wordlessly, not allowing Carol a single insight into her thoughts and feelings, the blonde suddenly found herself petrified at the fleeting thought that Maria might be angry with her for not returning to Earth for so long. Carol tried her best to remain strong as she stood there even though she wanted to just fall to her knees.

There was a moment more of silence before Maria suddenly burst into tears, and Carol felt her heart hurting as she tentatively took a step forward. She wanted more than anything to reach out to her and to hug this woman that had been someone that she looked up to and adored so much for so many years.

"You came home," Maria barely managed to muster. Carol finally brought herself to cross the rest of the distance between her and the hospital bed where Maria was resting. Carol sat down on the side of the bed carefully, not sure where she stood with Maria right now but assuming that it must be at least somewhat civil terms since Maria did not seem to be wanting her to move away just yet.

"Hey, don't cry... I'm here... And I'm sorry I was away for so long," Carol told her, reaching out tentatively for her hand even though she was a little afraid to do so. Maria took her hand, wrapping her somewhat shriveled grip around her as she looked at Carol through her tearful gaze.

"Twenty-three years... It's been twenty-three years, Carol," Maria sobbed, her voice wavering as she did her best to keep it steady and level.

"I know, I know... I'm sorry, Maria," Carol expressed softly, squeezing her hand gently and rubbing the back of it with her thumb. Maria sobbed quietly for a few moments more, Carol trying to just provide comfort for her.

She did not know if she was doing much good, but she was a little afraid to offer any more affection than she was now. There would have been a time in their lives when Carol would have openly and easily just bent down and hugged the older woman until she felt better. But of course, things were so much more complicated now.

Eventually, Maria finally managed to calm down enough to actually look at Carol and furrow her brow. Carol swallowed in spite of herself, nervousness rising within her.

"Where have you been?" Maria questioned, and Carol sighed.

"Where have I not been?" Carol replied with a slight chuckle. However, when Maria simply remained laying there and staring at her with a desperation in her gaze, Carol lost the smile on her face in favor of regarding Maria with far more seriousness.