Chapter Eleven

Enjoy!

KANO, NIGERIA.

~Cont. Of Flashback~

2 YEARS LATER.....

730 days passed in sadness, that is 2 years to be precise. Asiyah and her kids have been suffering in the hands of their father, her husband - is turning into a monster he never was. Muhammad had stopped eating at home - saying her food is always tasteless or it's salty, he never looks at his kids not to even think of her. Sometimes, he doesn't come home from his supposed 'work', but who's she to question his whereabouts ?

She would call his office or his friends and sometimes she would be told that he didn't step a foot at the office that day, or they would say they haven't seen him in a while. That got her worried, but she's used to it. She just hopes it isn't what she's thinking, an affair.

She's been insecure of her marriage - any woman in her shoes would be. However, she's grown used to it.

At this moment, she's on her way back home - which is nothing as her home anymore - from a mart that's just few streets away from the house. She drove into the house opened by the gateman and straight to the garage. With the help of the maid and gateman, the foodstuff and everything else she bought were taken into the house.

Asiyah freshened up to wash off the stress in her fatigued body. The house was quiet because the kids were at school. She decided to prepare lunch, since Talatu - the house help - didn't, she prefers to cook for her husband and kids.

After cooking a simple lunch consisting of jollof rice with peppered ram meat and coleslaw, including some chilled mango juice. She set the table - after all, the kids came back from school a while ago and are upstairs to change into something more comfy.

"Assalam Alaikum [peace be upon you]," they made their presence known.

"Wa'alaikum Assalam [peace be upon you, too], sweeties," she answers them with a sweet smile.

They had lunch in peace - but not as the happy family they were - without the monster of a father and husband.

***

"Allahu Akhbar [Allah is the Greatest]"

The Adhan -call for prayer- for Maghrib -sunset prayer- was heard through the windows of the bedrooms. She performed ablution and prayed to The Almighty. Pouring out her heart to him; making sure to prolong the Sujood (prostration) - she shed tears of agony in her Salaah.

***

Being sure the table was perfectly set, making sure everything was there except... there was one thing missing -she was very sure of that.

Aha ! the apple drink.

Asiyah rushed into the kitchen then the freezer and brought the juice, landing its bottom on the dinning table. Now everything's complete. She just hopes he likes what she prepared for dinner -chicken and chorizo jambalaya, spicy garlic lime shrimp & noodles.