Chapter 160 - Young Duke

Start from the beginning

Even if his feet had started hurting so much, Raphael continued to move forward. His huffs produced a cloud of breath and his pants of exhaustion created a series of unwanted thoughts inside his head.

He wanted to give up.

It had only been a month but living in the wild was the most dangerous thing a human being could do.

Magic beasts were always coming out in every direction and were trying to attack the two.

Raphael had defended to the best of his abilities but his sword was also taken away from him.

They were kicked out of the Taron Kingdom with nothing but clothes.

Some might find living in the wilderness easy but it wasn't the case for these two. They cannot freely hunt fruits and other consumables without triggering the magic beasts and monsters in the surrounding places.

The young duke desired to rest and stop for a moment but the rain will soon fall.

He did not care if he gets drenched or sick but with his younger brother in his arms, it couldn't happen.

With a sharp stick in his hand while Gage was being cradled with the other, Raphael heaved a deep breath before walking again.

His steps were slow and painful. Every movement he made, a pang of pain would course through his body and produce a groan from him.

"Please... just a house to sleep in..." He begged particularly towards no one but the wind.

His words were desperate and his actions were forced. Raphael was hungry too. It had been quite some time since he had eaten because he would give everything to Gage.

The child was his priority and the only reason he was keeping forward.

But the world seems to have weighed upon them. Raphael's vision started to get blurry and his entire body trembled.

Unknowingly, his knees gave in and he came crashing on the ground.

Thud!

He wrapped Gage in his arms securely as his last resolve since his body gave up.

"B-Brother!" The young child panicked when his brother fell to the ground. Gage too was trapped under Raphael's body.

"Brother! Are you okay?! Brother!" Gage tried to wake him up but Raphael was too dizzy to respond.

And that did not end there.

A small drop of liquid fell on the young duke's face wherein Raphael had finally lost it.

The single drop was then followed by another. Until the droplets of water became plenty enough that the young duke was getting drenched.

It finally rained and they were still in the open field with no houses nearby.

"G-Gage..." he managed to speak and the small child immediately responded.

"Y-Yes, brother!" Gage was already crying and Raphael knew that too. Even if his brother's voice was tough, the occasional sniffs and breaks in his voice made Raphael identify that Gage was crying.

"I... I'm sorry... brother could not find a house for you..." He apologized and Gage cried harder.

"It's... hic... It's okay, brother! L-Let us rest here until we can look for a house!" Gage clutched Raphael's dirty clothes and wept there.

'No...' Raphael could not do that.

He can't rest under the rain because they would both get sick and having a child with him getting sick was the worst possible scenario for the two of them.