38.

38.

Forever and Always

--

Percy POV

The good thing about being popular is that not many people will treat you differently. They just care more about you. I'm not saying I want their pity, but it's better than being treated differently.

I had missed the last two days of school because I wasn't feeling well.

I could barely get up in the morning on chemo anymore.

I was always weak and tired, and I would spend my nights in the bathroom, throwing up every hour.

I can't believe the whole school saw me throw up, but they didn't really seem to care. The girls just flirted with me and smiled and asked if I was okay. I didn't have the energy to flirt back like I normally would, so I just said I was fine and smiled back. They guys just nodded at me and patted my back.

I didn't want to go to school today, but I had missed too much. The semester was coming to an end and finals were on the way.

My mom didn't want me to go. I was tired and she knew it, but she didn't push me further.

Annabeth was picking me up today.

"Hey gorgeous," she said, coming in the front door.

I was sitting on the counter, playing with my smoothie.

I smiled. "Hey beautiful."

"Ready to go?"

I nodded. "Of course."

She leaned closer to me. "Are you sure you want to go? You just finished chemo; you should rest."

"I have to," I said. "Finals are coming, and I still have absolutely no idea what we're learning in class."

She sighed. "Okay."

"Bye mom," I said, kissing my mom on the cheek.

"Bye honey. Call me if you don't feel well, okay?" she said, her face filled with concern.

"I'll be fine."

She nodded, but didn't look convinced.

"So," Annabeth said, while getting into the car.

"What?"

"You don't have to pretend to me, Percy," Annabeth said seriously. "I want to help. Tell me what's wrong – no don't lie to me. I know something's wrong."

I sighed. "It's nothing."

She gave me a stern look.

"I just... what's the point of learning things if I'm never going to use it?" I asked.

She hesitated for a second. "What do you mean?"

"You know very well what I mean," I deadpanned.

She knew very well what I meant. She was smart. There was no way she wouldn't be able to figure it out.

"Percy-" she started. "You don't know what's going to happen."

"Maybe," I conceded. "But I can guess."

"Don't think like that," she chided. "Let's think about something more positive... what do you want to be when you grow up?"

"Marine biologist..." I said. "Or an Olympic swimmer."

"You'd be a good one," Annabeth agreed.

I sighed. "If I get better."

Annabeth was quiet so I decided to change the topic. "What do you want to be when you grow up?"