27.

27. 

Already Gone

-⁛-

Percy POV

You know, I always knew that whenever I dated someone, it was never going to last. I've dated so many girls and none of them lasted. Regardless, I don't consider myself a player. I love people for them and I'm always very loyal in my relationships. I honestly really thought that I would be with Hannah. Then I thought that with Drew. And look how they all turned out. 

I guess it's contagious cause now it's happening with Katie. 

It's not her fault. She deserves so much better than a useless guy like me. Honestly, maybe Sloan was right about me. Maybe I am a burden. 

I'm grateful for all Katie did for me. I really enjoyed her company, and I really loved how she helped me with everything. I love her for her. She doesn't have to change. 

Honestly, it was all my fault. Maybe it wasn't, but I tend to blame things that go wrong on myself. 

I know things. I'm not as stupid as everyone thinks. 

I know that she was pitying me. I know that she's been feeling bad for me. Hell, she might even have cried over me. 

I know that Katie and Travis had been hanging out over the days. I know that Katie would never cheat. And she doesn't. Ever. End of story.

I know that they're just friends, but I've seen enough to know that Travis wants to be more than friends. I didn't think Katie seemed interested, but I guess I was wrong. 

"Hey Katie!" I said, opening the door for her. 

"Hey," she said nervously. "What are we doing today?" 

I shrugged. "Want to go to the park?" 

"Sure!" she said enthusiastically. 

I drove. On the way, she kept going on about how Travis pranked her last week and Travis this and Travis that. It took a huge amount of effort to not punch her. 

"So," I said through gritted teeth. "How's Travis?" 

Katie didn't seem to notice my tone and replied, "He's good! We did some homework together last week!" 

I clenched my fists. 

"How are you?" she asked. 

I shrugged. "Oh, you know. Living the life of cancer." 

She frowned. 

"You know, Sloan said something to me last week. And I think he might be right." 

She looked at me, surprised. "Really."

"Yeah," I agreed. 

And then she didn't ask anything else. 

So I continued. I really needed her advice on this. 

"He told me last week, when he punched me," I started, and she winced when I mentioned that. "And then he told me that maybe I was a burden. To my family. They're paying all my chemo bills and they have Estelle to take care of. Maybe I'm too much." 

She stayed silent, and I wondered if she was even listening. She was on her phone, talking to oh you guessed it. Travis. 

Honestly, I loved the guy. He was outgoing and wild like me. But I didn't appreciate that he was trying to steal my girlfriend. 

"Are you even listening?" I asked. 

"Huh? Yeah. I think you should tell him that if he does that to you one more time, you're going to kick his butt," Katie replied.