35.

35.

The Apology

-⁛-

Annabeth POV

When I went home, I immediately grabbed a big bucket of ice cream and turned on the TV and cried. I was watching High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. 

It was basically your typical heartbreak thing to do. 

"What's wrong, Annabeth?" my step-mom, Helen asked me. 

"Nothing," I said, wiping my tears. 

"Is it a boy?" Bobby chimed. 

I stayed silent. 

"Is it?" Helen asked. 

I nodded. 

"I'm gonna beat that boy's butt!" Matthew declared. 

"Whoa, whoa," I laughed. "No beating anyone's butt." 

"What happened?" Bobby asked. 

"Is it Percy?" Helen asked. 

I nodded. The few times that I had brought Percy home, they had met and Helen really liked Percy. Not a surprise. Everyone likes Percy. Well... except for my dad. For some reason, he really disliked Percy. I don't know if it was because he so chill and laid back or if he just didn't like his cocky attitude. 

"What happened?" 

I explained our fight to her and she nodded. "It seems like he's just frustrated at this. Think about it, Annabeth. He lost so many things with just one word. Cancer. Be a little more understanding, okay?" 

"I'm trying, Helen! I really am! But he's built such a thick wall that no one can tear down!" 

Helen raised an eyebrow. "Does he love you?" 

"I... I think so."

I hope so

"Do you love him?" 

"Yes!" I said. "Of course I do! He's literally the sweetest boy I've ever met!" 

"Then you can tear down those walls, Annabeth. You're the only one who can. Percy is going through a lot. You need to be with him and take things one step at a time," she told me. 

I sighed and checked my phone. We had fought before, Percy and I, but we had made up right away. But this time was different. He hadn't called or texted. 

"He'll come around," Helen promised. "He's a good kid, Percy is." 

"He just said he would fix it by getting a new girlfriend!" I cried. "He said it so easily like I was some piece of trash to be thrown away!" 

"See," Bobby said. "I'll gladly kick his butt for you." 

"That's my job!" Matthew whined. "You're supposed to just stand there!" 

"No!" Bobby argued. "I wanna be the hero!" 

"Well I'm the hero!" 

"You don't deserve to be!" 

"Okay, okay," I said. "Calm down. No one is kicking anyone's butt and no one is playing hero. I can take care of this by myself."

Matthew raised an eyebrow. "Really? Cause all you're doing here is sitting around the TV moping about a boy."

Helen coughed to cover her laugh and I slapped Matthew. 

"It's true!" he continued. "You should be out there kicking his butt and telling him that you don't like being treated like that!"