34.

34.

The New Boy

-⁛-

Annabeth POV

"Annabeth!" a voice called from behind me. 

"Hey," I greeted, turning around. "What's up?" 

It was Jason. 

Jason now was one of the few people that knew about Percy's cancer. Percy had told him after the beaand from what I heard, Jason had been a wreck. 

"I need to talk to you." 

I raised an eyebrow. "About what?" 

"There's a new swimmer on the swim team," he told me. 

"And that affects me how?" 

"You know him."

"So?" 

"It's Luke." 

That name sounded familiar... 

"Luke Castellan," Jason continued. 

Now I definitely knew who he was. 

Percy didn't dislike many people, but when he did, he hated them. There was this one time, when Percy and Luke were fighting over swim team captains. Everyone knew that Percy was better and that pissed Luke off. Not to mention that Drew had cheated on Percy using Luke.

"Crap," I muttered. "Does Percy know?" 

Jason shook his head. "No. But they appointed Luke the new member of the swim team and he's the captain too."

"Oh no."

"We've got a problem," Jason said. "Percy is going to flip when he finds out." 

"Yeah. We do," I agreed. 

*** 

I was sitting in Ceramics class with Jason and Piper when he walked in. Percy was with Coach Hedge, talking about football or whatever so he wasn't here.

Believe me, I didn't want to be here. I could be doing something a lot more interesting. But I needed an art credit and I was already in the school musical, so I decided to take art. 

I don't hate art, I just suck. Believe me when I tell you I'm terrible at art. 

Unfortunately, they didn't count architecture class as art. 

"Alright class!" Mrs. Smith announced, clapping her hands together. "We're going to continue working on our pinch pots!" 

I went to the cupboard to retrieve my project. 

Piper saw mine and she laughed. "Yours look pretty good."

"Don't be ridiculous," I told her. 

"It's true! It's probably the best you've done," she said with a sly smile. 

"Shut up," I said, with a smile of my own. 

Just then, a boy came in the class, holding his backpack. He had blue eyes, short-cropped sandy blonde hair, a sharp nose. 

I immediately knew who it was. But I was praying I was wrong. 

"May I help you?" Mrs. Smith asked. 

"I switched classes," the boy said. "Music was so bad."

He handed her his schedule and she nodded. "I don't have a seat for you, why don't you go sit beside Annabeth?"