23-PAST LIFE

OMNISCIENT

Inside Junaid's Porsche 911 was Zafeer driving through the busy streets of Kano like a wacko, the said guy snatched the keys away from his cousin's brother who was too confused to even notice. He doesn't know if they are following him or not, he must find Marwa today.

It wasn't long before he found himself in the retirement home where Marwa took him after they went to the orphanage. The moment he sighted his car parked recklessly from afar, he made a stunt and parked close to it. Without removing the keys, he alighted the car and entered the place in a dishevelled manner.

Zafeer was instantly met with old people who kept thanking him for the good he has done to them, the guy just kept nodding at them like a lizard, his attention wasn't there at all.

"Whenever a colourful butterfly flies away, you shouldn't hesitate to follow it and grab, it listens to your harmonic musings, especially if it is at its most vulnerable. Butterflies are precious, they might mean a person's whole life, looking so innocent, as it comes to thou, but thou clung to them, not knowing that it can change thou forever" The oldest man there mused, his voice faltering due to lack of strength and old age.

He always talks in poetic language or riddles, nothing unmeaningful has ever come out of his mouth, it just takes a genius to figure it out. Zafeer narrowed his eyes, it didn't take long for him to understand what the man was trying to clarify. Marwa in this context is the butterfly, she is at her most vulnerable state now, which means she can listen to him attentively. Marwa is precious and looks innocent, but what does he mean by changing Zafeer forever? How can she do that?!

"Where is she?" He questioned the man who didn't look a bit intimidated by his fierce expression.

"The place she likes the most in here. Think about the last part of my little poem and thank me later buddy" The man shouted over his shoulder as Zafeer dashed away.

Of course, he knows the place she likes the most in the retirement home, it is a small garden filled with different kinds of flowers and greenery trimmed to perfection, that spot is where she finds her true self whenever she is lost.

As he has expected, Marwa was meditating in the garden, her back was facing him. Her shoulders were slightly quivering, that was how he knew she is crying. But why will she cry? He'd be damned if he doesn't find out now.

"Why are you here Murad?" She asked in a silent tone, her voice gruff and sad, unlike the stern, tom-boyish tone she talks in. Zafeer was amazed, how did she even sense his presence because as he knows, only people with martial arts skills have that ability.

"How did you know I am here?" He asked instead.

"Your presence changed the direction of the breeze around me, it was going towards Northeast by North but you diverted it to the direction of the Northwest" She wiped her tears and turned around, looking at Zafeer who stood mouth agape, making her laugh out loud.

"How did you know all that?" He questioned and cocked a perfectly arched eyebrow.

"Well, first off, I know somethings about the language of Mathematics and if you don't know, I was the only girl amid thirty boys who got in martial arts club back in secondary school" She shrugged like it was nothing.

"What? Didn't that make you feel insecure or maybe, I don't know girls' stuff?" He couldn't help but raise his voice in shock. If he thinks he is an enigmatic person, then he doesn't know what to call Marwa.

"I am not any kind of girl out there Murad. There is more to life than what you think and anyways, dead people have nothing to fear" Now, he sat down beside her on the fresh, hydrated grass and removed his suit then placed it around her shoulders, making her feel comfortable.