chapter forty - one

[ i listened to please please by everglow while i wrote this and i have never felt sadder :( ]

| 41 |

beomgyu sits in the hospital room silently, his bruised and cut face emotionless and he stares ahead, the sight of taehyun asleep in the hospital bed bone chilling.

~

'his blood pressure's dropping!'

'check his vitals, make sure they're stable!'

'patient is loosing a lot of blood!

'an important artery has been punctured!'

~

beomgyu remembers ever single word, every single chain of events that he wished he could forget, the sounds of his own screams, mixed with the sight of taehyun stilled almost lifeless on the rolling gurney.

for now, he can only hope taehyun would wake, his arms sliding across the bed to grip taehyun's hand in both his own, his lip taken between his teeth as he sniffles softly.

his thumbs traced circles on the back of taehyun's palm, a gulp rolling down his throat as he tries to hold in the urge to cry again, a simple sniffle burning his nose.

he folds his lips together in a frown, slowly lifting taehyun's hand to his bruised cheek, closing his eyes when their skin touches.

"don't be afraid to wake up," beomgyu says, pushing more into taehyun's limp hand, "don't be afraid, i'm here, it's okay now,"

taehyun stays still, and beomgyu sighs shakily, looking down. he brings taehyun's hand to his lips now, a simple, delicate kiss pressed against the skin of his knuckles, a soft swipe of beomgyu's thumb spreading the chill.

"i love you,"

~

yeonjun furrows his brows when he hears his phone vibrate, his back pressed against the counter as he pops a cherry in his mouth, wiping his hands on his pants before walking over.

"who is it?" soobin looks up from the couch when yeonjun picks up his phone, looking at the caller i.d.

yeonjun raises his brows, looking at soobin as he swipes accept, "it's the police station," he tells him, and soobin tilts his head in confusion, getting up to walk over.

"why?"

yeonjun shrugs, pressing the phone to his ear.

"hello?"

"hello, seoul police station... is this choi yeonjun?"

yeonjun purses his lips, confused, "yes. why are you calling? was someone i know arrested again?" he asks, sighing deeply as he slumps.

the officer denies the assumption, "oh, no no, we're just calling in regards of information about your brother,"

yeonjun stands straight again, eyes wide, more confused if anything, "what?" he asks, alerted, "what about my brother? i haven't seen him in a little over 3 years,"

the officer sighs into the phone, and yeonjun can hear the man flip what he assumes is paperwork, humming softly as if he we're looking for something.

"seoul city hospital called us just a few moments ago. they asked us to kindly send some important information out to the patient's family and friends. they said they lost your number in their records,"

yeonjun parts his lips, eyes wide.

"w-what? why the hospital?"

"your brother seems to have been in a critical accident, they asked for family and/or friends to be sent in immediately just in case," the officer sighs, "sorry to call so suddenly,"

yeonjun just stays silent in shock, lips quivering in confusion, his entire aura stunned that they even found his brother.

"c-can you tell me the name of the patient?" yeonjun gulps, breath quicker all of a sudden, a nervous chuckle falling past his lips, "i'm sure they got the name wrong.... i haven't seen m-my brother in years," he says again.

"oh sure thing, give me... one second," he hears the officer him again, more pages being flipped, echoing through the receiver.

"here we go," he man clears his throat, "the patient's name seems to be choi taehyun?" the officer smacks his lips, "sound familiar?"

yeonjun freezes completely, the phone slipping from his grasp to land on the ground below, the screen shattering just like his heart.

shock.

utter devastation and shock.

soobin looks at him in worry, "what's wrong?"

yeonjun's eyes are just as wide as saucers, and he clenches his teeth with a hiss, genuinely feeling the crack form along his heart.

"jun," soobin pleads, tilting his head in hopes to meet his eyes, "tell me what's wrong,"

yeonjun just takes staggered breaths, eyes blinking back tears as he shakes his head lightly, meeting soobin's eyes, too stunned to even speak.

"m-my b-brother," is all yeonjun says, and soobin furrows his brows, confused.

"what do you mean?" soobin asks, eyes flickering back and forth between yeonjun's worriedly, fingers rubbing circles on his arms, "you told me you haven't seen him since you were 19,"

yeonjun quivers in shock, silent tears falling down his face in shock as he stares ahead, a million thoughts visibly running through his head.

"m-my brother,"

~

WERE U EXPECTING THAT BE HONEST