chapter thirty - seven

| 37 |

"why do i have to close my eyes?" soobin asks, his brows furrowing in confusion under yeonjun's chilled palms.

yeonjun chuckles, "stop being impatient,"

soobin pouts.

"okay," he hears yeonjun take a breath, "we're here," he says, and the hands slip from soobin's eyes before he can blink.

he looks around, trying to pinpoint where he's at.

and then, "yeonjun?" he asks, turning his head to meet the boy's soft eyes, "why are we at a highway bridge?" yeonjun watches as soobin gulps, moving his gaze towards the rushing river below.

yeonjun sighs, shaking his head with a small grin. he turns around, leaning back on the bridge railing, elbows perched up.

"this is the first place i came after that night,"

soobin parts his lips, looking at yeonjun for some sort of context.

yeonjun bites his lip, shrugging, "i... tried," is all he says, and it doesn't take a genius for soobin to catch onto what he's referring.

his face immediately contorts into a look of sadness, his hand rising to place itself on yeonjun's shoulder, the pink haired meeting his worried eyes.

"why?" soobin asks, his voice small.

yeonjun smiles sadly up at soobin, sighing deeply. he turns around, his front leaning on the rail like soobin, "same reason as you, i guess,"

soobin frowns, looking away.

"i felt..." yeonjun looks down, folding his lips together in a pause, "i felt like the moment i lost beomgyu, i lost everything else," yeonjun says, "my best friend, my long life crush, my heart, my dignity...... you,"

soobin parts his lips, looking at yeonjun, deciding not to say anything, only a soft rosed color of surprise scattered across his cheeks.

"but," yeonjun closes his eyes for a moment, hand gripping the railing tightly, "i stopped myself only seconds after i climbed over.... no matter how much i knew i was hated... i also knew dying would somehow make it worse,"

soobin bites his lip, sniffling as he looks down at the river below them, the water washing over rocks, the mere thought of yeonjun struggling under the current making his brain hurt.

"so i just climbed back over," yeonjun says, "i climbed back over and assured myself that i mattered... even if i didn't to anyone else,"

"you matter," soobin turns to yeonjun, gripping his hands tight, meeting his glossy eyes, "you matter so much to everyone.... so much to me,"

yeonjun sniffles, wiping his tears with the back of his sleeve, a chuckle falling past his lips. he raises a hand, lightly smacking soobin's chest.

"you copycat, i said the exact same thing to you,"

soobin snickers, looking down.

he stays still for a moment before he wraps his fingers around one of yeonjun's hands, hesitantly bringing it to rest against his chest.

yeonjun furrows his brows, looking at him in wonder.

"you feel that?" soobin smiles, looking down a yeonjun, holding his hand closer to the left side of his chest, his own sliding to rest on top of yeonjun's.

"feel what?"

soobin grins, thumb tracing circles on the back of yeonjun's palm, "my heartbeat," soobin says softly, and yeonjun parts his lips, eyes flickering to soobin's chest, eyes focused on their intertwined hands.