Green-Eyed Monster: Part 10

Start from the beginning

Natasha was in the bathroom looking through the kit when Yelena limped in. Yelena moved next to her, roughly shoving her shoulder into Natasha's as she tried to take what she needed from the kit. Natasha, however, remained steadfast and did not let Yelena push her out of the way.

"Move, Natasha. I'll take care of it," Yelena firmly told her, her voice communicating precisely the amount of danger that there was in continuing to push her like this. However, Natasha was not afraid of her sister. Even if Yelena was going to yell and scream, Natasha would rather that than dead silence.

She knew she had already screwed things up between them again, but something in Natasha was not going to let Yelena go this time. She was going to fight for Yelena. She would fight for both of them together.

"No, I always take care of you after missions," Natasha stubbornly replied, and Yelena looked at her, a definitive warning in her gaze as she silently dared Natasha to take one more step and cross over that edge of the cliff of burning rage that Natasha was obviously teetering on.

Natasha just stared back at her, the both of them locking eyes for a long moment. Yelena reached out quickly, aiming to snatch what she needed quickly. However, Natasha grabbed her wrist immediately.

Almost as soon as Natasha squeezed, Yelena let out a strangled sound of pain. Natasha quickly released her, her eyes widening as panic coursed through her. Her eyes raked over the area, but she could not really figure out what was going on with Yelena's wrist because it was covered by her gloves and her sleeves.

Natasha reached out toward her, and Yelena's jaw clenched as she glared at her.

"I'm sorry, let me see."

"No," Yelena argued.

"Let me see," Natasha insisted more strongly, starting to reach for her, and Yelena's eyes flashed with that rage that Natasha must have finally managed to bring to the surface. Natasha somehow both regretted pushing her and was glad that she was getting her to say something finally.

Yelena knocked Natasha's hand away with her good arm.

"No. You spent your whole week replacing me with Bishop, so why don't you go make sure she's not going to melt like the West Witch out in the rain?" Yelena snarled and while there was definitive anger in her gaze, there was also so much hurt and injury that it almost felt as if Natasha had been literally stabbed.

"I wasn't replacing you. Please, just understand that—"

"No, you understand that I felt like I was losing you all over again and I couldn't even do anything about it because I was stuck on some stupid mission with your stupid friends!" Yelena yelled furiously, her voice raising as she moved closer into Natasha's face. Natasha held fast as she looked at her baby sister.

There was a long pause for a moment as Yelena just stood there glaring at her with her chest heaving from the stress of the fury coursing through her. Natasha simply searched her gaze for a moment, silently pleading for some semblance of peace from the girl so that they could speak civilly.

"Yelena, you know that you're the number one person in my life," Natasha finally tried to reassure, her voice strong as she looked at her and tried to resist the tears that were threatening to spring to her eyes.

"I'm obviously only your number one while I'm here," Yelena snapped, her voice sounding a little less angry and a little more hurt than it had been the last time that she said something. Yelena still looked as if she could be teetering on that edge of lashing out again, and Natasha just hoped that the girl would listen to her next words.