Gun Show Gone Wrong

Start from the beginning

Natasha looked back up at Yelena, and the blonde's smirk returned tenfold as she realized that her sister had that glint of competitiveness in her eyes. But the presence of extreme trepidation was surprising to Yelena.

Before she could question it, Natasha headed over next to her, dusting chalk on her hands before standing before the weight to lift it. She let out a deep breath before looking over at Yelena.

"I knew you'd come around. Can't resist trying to beat me, huh?" Yelena grinned, squaring her shoulders as she prepared herself to lift. Natasha's weight was currently set at the same amount as Yelena's, and she had started them both off relatively small compared to Yelena's usual deadlifting maximum.

"You ready?" Yelena questioned, and Natasha hummed under her breath in reply. Yelena grinned before counting down and lifting the weight before her.

However, as she lifted it up, she suddenly realized that Natasha was having great difficulty picking it up at all.

Yelena held hers up for a moment before dropping it back to the ground. Natasha barely managed to pull it up in the air, and Yelena's eyes were ridiculously wide as she took in her sister. Yelena remained quiet as she stared at her. Natasha gritted her teeth, her gaze shifting quickly to the crowd gathered around as she strained to lift it.

Natasha barely managed to lift it before having to put it back down. Natasha took a few deep breaths, her chest heaving from the strain of trying to lift the weight. She closed her eyes for a moment before reopening them and looking at the surrounding group.

Kate and Peter were just standing there, completely baffled at the fact that there was actually something that Natasha could not do. Clint was just standing there with a knowing look in his eyes and somewhat saddened expression on his face. Everyone else was just staring and unsure what to say as they shifted uncomfortably.

"What just happened?" Tony questioned aloud, unable to remain silent despite the deafening quiet among all of the Avengers.

"It looks like Yelena's actually bested Natasha in something for literally the first time ever," Sam commented, and Yelena glanced between the men and Natasha, not sure whether she should be teasing Natasha right now or trying to downplay the whole thing.

Natasha straightened a little, a slight smile coming onto her face as she regained a bit more of her usual confidence in her stance.

"Yeah... And I'm so proud of her," Natasha expressed, looking over at Yelena with a soft expression. Yelena melted a little with the praise, feeling a bit better about Natasha's loss despite the fact that there was some part of her that was still slightly worried about her sister's true reaction to losing so horribly in front of everyone.

"Huh... If I would've known a deadlifting competition was all it took, I would've pulled that one a long time ago," Tony acknowledged with a laugh. Stiffening ever so slightly, Natasha lost just a hint of her smile. However, she quickly loosened, rolling her eyes and heading off toward the showers to presumably wash her hands.

"Careful, Stark. I have way too much against you for you to be talking that kind of smack. Or do I need to bring up the spaghetti incident of 2015?" Natasha threatened lightly as she walked away. Tony immediately lost his grin but was swiftly distracted by Peter excitedly talking about Yelena's win.

Yelena took a moment to look at all of the Avengers, shocked at the looks of awe and the praise that she was receiving. Clint looked somewhere between extremely impressed and strangely unhappy, and Kate was still standing there with her mouth hanging open. Steve and Sam were discussing the win and looking at Yelena with lingering surprise.