Jean Kirstein - Somewhere Only We Know

Prompt: "Let's run away together and live by ourselves in a place far away!"

On a not so busy afternoon, you decide to invite Jean on a little picnic date, nothing too special, just a small token of your admiration and appreciation for all the times he stood by your side. Those have always been his favorite kind of dates.

So you head over to the city's market, a little brown basket made out of stiff fibers in hand. The colorful stalls catch your eye within a second of walking in and the smell of freshly cooked meat welcomes you

Most of the vendors already know your name from all the times they've seen you before. Some of them even have your order memorized but something inside of you wanted to look at the products by yourself, without having other people choose it for you.

Your fingertips brush lightly against the apples but you soon realize that is not something you are in the mood for, so you leave them in their respective places.

Next, your eyes wander to the chocolate covered strawberries. The owner of the stall hands you a toothpick and extends the platter closer to you, offering a taste. Once you take a bite, the chocolate melts against your tongue and the sweetness of the strawberry mixes together perfectly with it. So of course, you purchase an entire batch.

The following step is finding the perfect drink. So you look around for a little bit, trying different kinds of juices and sodas when finally you land on a homemade orange juice, freshly harvested and squeezed. It has always been his favorite.

For a savory treat, you decide that buying something at the market wouldn't be enough so you reach for his mother's house and luckily for you, she had just recently made an omelet. She says she makes one every day in the hopes that her son would come visit and you make a mental note to pull Jean's ear later.

Once you pack all the food in the little brown basket, you leave a note behind for your boyfriend to find and read over to the spot where you had your first kiss: under the big, oak tree on the top of the hill outside the training camps.

You pull out a small blanket, its red print contrasting with the freshly cut green grass. The wind rushes by you and the current is strong enough to lift the skirt of your dress so immediately, you use your hands to try and push the cloth back down.

"Pink underwear?" A voice enters your ears and you blush, avoiding eye contact with him at all costs.

"Shut up." You reply and he laughs, wrapping one arm around your waist while pulling you closer to him, lips touching your left temple.

"I missed you the whole time I was at that stupid meeting today." He says, his hand still gripping your skin as he looks down at the meal you arranged for him. "This looks delic - is that my mom's omelet?"

"Yeah, I went by her house and picked it up just for you." You say, placing your hands on his shoulder while your eyes are closed and a smile is carved up on your lips. Slowly, you move your fingers up, gently tracing the outside of his ear before pulling it by the lobe. "You really need to go visit her more often."

"Ow, ow, I will." He says, flinching in pain. "I promise, please!" And finally you let go.

"Come on, let's sit down and eat." You say while watching as Jean rubs his ear, a frown on his face. "Oh don't be like that, I have all your favorites."

He doesn't say anything but he does allow a smirk to curl up. His hand travels to the top of head and he removes his straw hat, placing it on the cloth on the floor before sitting down. He holds your hand gently and pulls you down with him.

Shifting the weight of your body onto your right arm, you use the free one to hand Jean a chocolate covered strawberry. He opens his mouth and eagerly savors the treat you are providing but something feels off.

He is usually so talkative but at this moment, he simply enjoys the food without saying so much as a single word. Something is on his mind and you can tell.

"What's wrong?" You ask and suddenly the man sprouts up, looking at you with a determined look on his face.

"Let's run away together and live by ourselves in a place far away!" Jean exclaims and it catches you by surprise. Out of all the insane things he has ever said or suggested to you, this one was by far the craziest and, by default, your favorite.

"What?" You are taken back by his words so, in response, a nervous laughter escapes your lips. He suddenly stands up and begins to walk around, planning the entire situation out loud so you could be a part of it.

"Somewhere outside Paradis." He says, excitement coursing through his veins as he shakes his hands around. Instead of discouraging him, you simply adjust your skirt so it covers your thighs and flash him a bright smile.

"I would love that." You respond, extending your arm so your hand can touch his. His fingertips are cold and rough but the manner in which he touches your skin is gentle and soft. He wraps his hand around your wrist before gently pulling you up.

He places his free hand on your waist while raising the other and, in one swift move, your body is now glued to his. While humming a melody you are all too familiar with, he begins to move his feet. Backwards, to the side, to the front.

He twirls you around like a ballerina and you nearly fall into his arms many times. Though you step on his feet, he does not seem to mind. Instead, the joy in his eyes is one you haven't seen in many nights.

The remaining rays of sunlight hit the oak tree ever so lightly, barely enough light left. The shadow that once protected you and Jean now disappears and the wind rushes through you, dancing with the leaves of the old oak tree as if it is copying Jean's movements.

Jean's grip on your waist tightens and he brings you closer to him. You can smell the strawberries in his breath, the cherry flavored gloss on his lips and cheap cologne he sprayed on his neck before meeting you.

His eyes stare deep into yours and you are reminded of all the times he would sneak you out of the barricade so he could dance with you under the stars. Of course it was against the rules to leave after dark but that never once stopped him from sneaking into your room and bringing you outside.

"Run away with me." He whispers, teasingly aiming for your lips but immediately pulling his head back again. "I already have the keys to our new house, all you need to do is say yes."

"Yes." You respond, removing your hand from his and placing it on his cheek. "Wait, you already found us a house? For how long have you been looking?"

"I haven't." He discloses and once he notices the puzzle expression on your face, he continues. "I was riding around one time, looking for a specific plant the Commander requested when I laid eyes on a small house outside that city up north, I always forget what it is called.."

"Yeah, I know the place you are talking about." You interrupt him before he has time to go on a spiel about how he knows the place but doesn't remember the name. "I thought all the houses there were destroyed."

"They were." He says, touching his forehead to yours while he closes his eyes. "So I've been spending most of my time rebuilding it for you, for us, for our future children."

"Jeanbo, I love you." You whisper, finally closing the distance between the two of you and sealing your lips together. It's a gentle kiss, filled with all the love you've had for him in your heart for the past five years and cannot contain anymore.

His lips were warm and soft. They reminded you of the silky pillow cases you had purchased not too long ago, so delicate. They parted slightly, allowing your tongues to swirl around each other slowly.

After pulling away, Jean smiles at you. He nuzzles his face on yours and earns a giggle out of you.

"Let's go pack our things. We can leave tonight." He says and you nod, kneeling beside the picnic site to begin to pack everything together once more. The man immediately sits down right next to you in the hopes of providing any kind of assistance.

Your hands quickly go through the checked cloth, folding it neatly before placing it inside of the basket above the remaining food containers.

Jean reaches out for you, taking your hand on his, fingers lacing together as if they were meant to be and, instead of walking down the mountain, the two of you begin to run, excitedly chasing after your new life together.