76. Blackmail

Ben gets an idea of how he will cross the sea and goes to the island. He then goes to the center of the port town and finds a big mansion. It is the Mayor's residence.

"Hehe, with the Mayor's help, I'm sure I will be able to get a ship. This job is from the Kingdom, so I'm sure the Mayor won't be able to refuse," says Ben while smirking.

That's right, Ben wants to blackmail the Mayor to help him. This is a job issued by the Kingdom. So if the Mayor refuses, it will be treated as disobeying the Kingdom's decree.

Ben enters the mansion after showing his job letter from the Kingdom. He goes to the Mayor's office with Bella still laying on his head.

When he entered, Ben is surprised to find that the Mayor is a woman. But it's better because he usually met with old man Mayors.

"A job issued by the Kingdom? I haven't heard it. But the letter seems to be real," says the Mayor.

"Well, you can contact the Kingdom to find out if it's real," says Ben while shrugging his shoulder off.

The Mayor then asks her secretary to call the Kingdom through communication lacrima. While waiting, she asks Ben about the job. So Ben tells her the gist of his job and she understands it.

"Well, after what the Alvarez Empire tried to invade us, the people here are afraid to go too far from the island. The newly found island might be the Alvarez Empire's hiding place, that's why they are afraid to take you there," says the Mayor.

"Hmm, so that's why this job is also ranked as an S-Class job. The threat isn't just unknown creatures, but also Alvarez Empire," says Ben.

"S-Class job?!" says the Mayor in surprise.

"Yeah, it is stated in the letter, right?" asks Ben while tilting his head.

The Mayor open the letter again and read it carefully. She finally realizes that it is really an S-Class job. It makes her surprised because Ben is still very young and he has already taken an S-Class job.

"Are you an S-Class mage?" asks the Mayor.

"Yeah, S-Class mage from Cait Shelter Guild, Ben Cooper at your service," says Ben while saluting like a noble.

When Ben bows a little to do his noble salute, Bella falls from his head. Ben gets surprised and catches her immediately. She gets angry and hits Ben's face with her small hands. Ben can only laugh apologetically while scratching his head.

The Mayor giggles at their antiques, but she is still surprised to hear Ben's name. She has heard about Ben because he is quite famous in the upper circle. Clearing many S-Class jobs that involve S-Class monsters in many regions is enough to make many Mayors know his name.

Sometime later, the Mayor's secretary comes back and tells the Mayor that the job is real. The Kingdom also confirmed that Ben is the one who takes the job and asks the Mayor to help him.

The Mayor sighs and finally assigns her men to help Ben. Ben smiles victoriously and thanks the Mayor before leaving the office. He finally can get a ship to cross the sea.

When he leaves the office, a man comes up to Ben. He is the Mayor's assistance, Marc, who will take care of the ship. He asks Ben to follow him toward the port where they'll get the ship.

"The ship is big enough to carry my car, right?" asks Ben.

"Yes, Mr. Ben. It is enough to carry your magic vehicle," says Marc.

Ben nods and then they go to the port using Ben's car. Marc doesn't say anything in the car, but he is impressed by Ben's car. As the Mayor's assistance, he knows that Ben's car is the latest model which is very expensive, and not many people have it now.