64. Refusal

"No, I can't accept them," says Roubaul to Team Ben.

Ben & his team are surprised to hear Roubaul's refusal. They thought Roubaul will be happy to get some new guild members.

"Why can't they join, Master?" asks Wendy with teary eyes.

"That's right, Gramps. Isn't it good for our guild to get new members? We don't have young mages except the 4 of us here," says Ben confusedly.

"Ben-boy, our guild is located deep in the forest. How will they come here every day?

Unlike you who has your car, they don't have it so they need to walk," says Roubaul.

"I can make a vehicle for them if that's the problem," says Ben.

"A guild is mages' second home, so are they ready to leave their family and live on their own?" asks Roubaul.

"That's..." Ben can't answer that question.

"It might be hurt for you, but they still have their family and home. For you, this is your only home, but for them, this is just a workplace. Besides, have you forgotten about my rule for age?" asks Roubaul.

"The 12 y.o rule?" asks Ben.

"Yeah, I only let you guys take real jobs after turning 12 or led by a strong 12 y.o like your team. Except if you think that they're stronger than you, then I can't accept them," says Roubaul.

Roubaul had set a rule for Ben that he could only take jobs when he became 12. It seems to be a permanent rule because it also applied to Wendy. She could only take jobs with Ben who has turned 12 last year and they could only take easy jobs when they're together.

"Can't they take menial jobs first like us in the past?" asks Ben.

"Menial jobs from the guild don't have any money reward that they need. They don't need Guild Points, they need money more than points," says Roubaul.

Ben gets silent and understands Roubaul's reasons. Unless if they're orphans and don't have anywhere to live, being a member of their guild won't be profitable. Those kids still have their family even if some are poor. So they need money more than just Guild Points.

But even if Ben can understand Roubaul's reasons, he still feels something is amiss. He doesn't know what is it, but he has a strong feeling that what Roubaul said isn't the real reason.

Ben leaves that thought for now and asks Roubaul, "Then, do you have any recommendation for them? They have a hard time choosing a guild, so they choose ours because they know us."

"For now, they can join any legal guild that is close to their home and have easy access. Clover Town doesn't have any guild, so maybe on Oshibana. They can use the train as transportation, it will be easier," says Roubaul.

"Sigh, alright then, I will tell them about it tomorrow," says Ben while sighing.

"Sorry about this, Ben-boy," says Roubaul apologetically.

"It's fine. You're the Guild Master and need to think about what's best for the guild. I also haven't thought about those problems that you've said," says Ben while smiling.

Ben can accept Roubaul's decision rather easily, but the girls can't. They're rather sad & disappointed by the decision. But they can understand Roubaul's reasons and accept them.

Ben rubs their head and says, "Don't worry, we can visit them if we have time."

"Yes," replied the girls with a sad tone.

The girls then leave the Guild Building and go to Wendy's house. Ben & Roubaul sigh because they know the girls have got attached to the kids.

"Gramps, you should take responsibility," says Ben.