CHAPTER 1 - THE PAST

IN THE CIRCLE of the training prison or the secret big island hidden from the map, rigorous obstacles are thrown at everyone without escaping. From the moment of entering the place, strict expectations should be met, and another level of challenges are to be conquered. Only until the toughest can step up the ladder, and reduce the rank number.

Those in rank ten are the weakest among the so-called guards. The rank zero is titled, the Princes of the Ten Godfathers. Or, they are the greatest killing machine of those powerful beings.

No guard in decades has achieved the highest rank.

In the middle of the island, the extraordinarily beautiful palace stands in its grand decor. Only the one godfather can enter its gate. Death awaits for those who willfully disobey.

At the front gate, the image of a girl is displayed in a huge poster. Dictating to everyone, a law that existed in the society that it is forbidden to speak or converse with this girl. No one knows what is it for, or even her name, only the godfathers know about it.

"Erasmus."

I turn my head towards the one who called my name from the approaching group of guards.

"You are among the few who are now in the second rank."

I looked at them with cold eyes. They bow down their heads to me as their superior.

"We are here to give our acknowledgment for your eminent.

Being the greatest only matters in my head.

"We will give our audience to your appraisal."

It is, to enter the number one.

"Other camps have their second-rank entrants."

"It does not matter," I said to them. This is not a survival to kill the others, but to survive by one's ability to conquer the obstacles.

I left them, to train harder for the next.

But at the back of the mind, is the face of that girl. It's been a year of seeing its face at the front gate when no one has seen the living entity of it.

I return to the camp to change and get another shot of training.

"Hi."

My head turns to that voice.

"Erasmus Gray."

From the sound of it, is a longing I have forgotten.

The shadow of the curtains hid the one who did speak. I did not move from the spot, only my hand quickly took the hidden knife from the back. "Show yourself," I commanded.

"I will."

I composed my inner nature as I beheld the one who stayed in my head for months, it turned out to be that girl with the exact features from that huge poster. A straight, jet-black long hair, fair white skin, and deep black eyes. The skinny body is dressed in elegant clothes, a show-off of wealth and authority.

"Erasmus."

The law that existed about this girl forefront the will to obey.

I do not open my mouth to speak.

She came nearer, and nearer. "Can you be my friend?"

My mouth is tight shut. The smell of her is like comfort to the body pain I hid from the outside.

"I have seen your past two tests. You have shown bravery and skills. I like you for that."

Only my eyes move as I study everything about her.