***** 

By the time she returned, Regina was tired. And not just from a full day of work. She had spent most of the morning calling every man she knew but they were all busy the day of her mother's birthday. Graham, an old friend of hers from school, had tried to rearrange his schedule but it was not to be. Regina had even tried to reach her ex-boyfriend, Sidney Glass. He didn't pick up, not that she was expecting him to. But he had been her last hope. She was faced with the very possible scenario of having to eat crow in front of her mother and her friends. It made her stomach turn. 

Regina climbed out of the car, thanking her faithful driver, and paused. Sitting on his stoop with an open bottle of beer and the New York Times was Robin Locksley, the last person she wanted to see. She took a deep breath, collected her mail and hurried down her walk, hoping he wouldn't say anything to her. 

"Early night, Ms. Mills?" He didn't even look up from his paper. 

She sighed, debating just ignoring him and going inside. Of course, she chose not to do that. "Are you stalking me, Mr. Locksley?" 

"No. Just being neighborly." 

"By keeping tabs of my comings and goings? Why?" 

"So I can watch your house and make sure no one breaks in." He folded the paper and looked at her. 

She scowled. "I have an alarm system." 

"I know. But aren't neighbors supposed to look out for each other?" 

Regina sighed, ready to go inside when his words stopped her. She turned, smiling. "You want to look out for me? What are you doing on Saturday?" 

"Nothing." He raised an eyebrow. "Why?" 

"My mother is having a birthday party..." 

"And you need a date." 

"Just once," Regina said. 

Robin smiled. "Fine. On one condition. I run a nonprofit that helps disadvantaged youth in the inner city." 

"Name your price and I'll donate it," Regina said. 

He shook his head. "Oh, no. I want you to actually volunteer with us once. Seeing a successful CEO like you will inspire the children." 

"Fine. Just be ready by noon on Saturday. We have to drive to Connecticut." Regina opened the door at last and slid inside. What had she just gotten herself into? 

***** 

Regina drove on Saturday as Robin sat in her passenger seat, dressed in a neat suit and tie. She had to admit--to herself, never out loud--that she was impressed when he asked her on Friday what she was wearing so he could coordinate appropriately. He wore a navy suit that matched her navy dress. It was something her mother would be sure to notice. 

After the first half hour passed in silence, Robin turned his attention from the outside and to her. "So, should we talk? I'd like to go in knowing a little about you that doesn't come from magazine profiles." 

"Fine," she sighed. "What do you want to know?" 

They spent the next hour exchanged information that they felt was needed to at least pretend that Regina hadn't asked him as a last resort. She learned he had an ex-wife ("An amicable divorce. We're better friends than lovers," he said) and a young son who visited every other weekend. Regina frowned, not sure why she had never seen the boy before. Maybe Robin was on to something about watching one's neighbors. 

Regina told him a bit about her childhood and family. Her father, Henry, had died a few years ago from a heart attack. Her mother had been a secretary until she had snagged the son of a family of "old money." Cora then prided herself on being the best in the room, most likely to overcompensate for her humble beginnings. "Don't expect to impress her. No one does," Regina warned him.