He still couldn't decide whether it was pure coincidence and fate.

Whatever might be the case, he was grateful because he had someone who accepted him, acknowledged him and cared for him with no ulterior motives.

Of course things didn't stay simple. It never did. His feelings for you started to change and evolve to something much deeper, more than simple friendship. Back then he couldn't understand. He was only afraid how fast he was getting attached to you. How each time you were away, he could only think of you. It

When he finally caught on, he never worked up the courage to act on his feelings.

He was an Outcast prince. Each day, he had to live while looking over his shoulder. He was in constant danger. One slight mistake of his part would get him murdered.

How could he bring you into his dangerous world? How could he taint your innocence, kill your purity and the bright light in your eyes with the twisted, bloodied cold world he resigned himself to. He couldn't.

So he buried it deep down. Forced it into his core and left it there to suffocate and hopefully die.

If he kept denying, denying and denying, it wouldn't became a real thing. His deep smothering feelings for you would remain nameless if he didn't acknowledged it. And he kept doing that. Each time he met you, he tried to convince himself his racing heart wasn't because of his growing feeling, no there were mere gratitude for your friendship.

Because he was painfully aware someone like him didn't deserve someone like you. Someone who was filled to brim with warmth, joy and light. There was no place in your warm world for him; someone so cold and jaded.

But his attachment and feelings were too obvious. His enemies had caught on. What he had feared came true. He unknowingly had put you in grave danger.

So he became distant. Focused his attention on Penelope to throw off your scent. He recognised the selfishness of using her to keep your safe. But he didn't care, he rather have a person he doesn't care about die then the person he love die. But he sank a little too deep into the illusion he had created to keep you safe.

He was only trying to do the right thing. So why did mistake upon mistake piled up until it exploded taking everything away from him.

When he ushered the throne,  the first thing he did was ran to find you  He had power now to protect you from any danger, provide you a future. But it was too late. You already had gone far away from him.

He held himself back from chasing after you. There was nothing grounding you to that place. It always been your dream to travel the world and get away from the rotten society. And he let you go with great pain. Because he rather have you happy away from him than miserable by his side.

Your fake corpse was only solace he could give himself. Where he could break down and mourn over his own miserable life. His loss. His idiocy.

When you came back, it was miracle to him. A blessing in disguise with hope of second chance. He so desperately tried to hold on. But it kept slipping from his fingers.

"No more." Claude mumbled. Because now no longer was his feelings one sided. You were his. He'd be damned if he let anything take you away from him.

Claude was pulled away from his thoughts when you let out a small groan and slowly stirred awake.

You sluggishly blinked your eyes open, flinched when the brightness blinded you momentarily.

"Argh.." Groaning, you hid your face to the closest thing to you.