66. Steps In Healing

Start from the beginning

For a guy like him to go out of his way to approach was fluttering. You did appreciate the gesture but it wasn't enough. Until he doesn't come clean with his feelings, all these words and actions were practically empty and meaningless. You didn't want to assume things, not when it could lead to a broken heart and lots of pain.

For God's sake, you had enough of those.

Or maybe you were just being petty and wanted him to admit his feelings first. A very mean petty.

Athy raced after the butterfly when out of nowhere Ether appeared on her path. She tripped over him and your cat made evil eyes at her. In response to his prank, Athy started chasing him, shouting in indignation.

You watched it with a wry smile.

Claude's gaze zoomed in on your small smile. His gaze flickered to Athy holding Ether by his tail then back to you. He opened his mouth but got interrupted.

"Your majesty, Duke Alpheus has requested an audience," Felix said, jogging towards Claude. You waved at him with a smile and he returned it with more energy.

"I refuse," Claude said without missing a beat.

"It's regarding the stolen artifacts. You can't ignore it!"

Claude clicked his tongue. "That annoying snake bastard, can't do a single thing without barking at me."

You agreed with him on the 'annoying snake bastard' part.

Felix brighten up once Claude begrudgingly conceded. Felix already started walking, muttering to himself in stress.

"I almost forgot."

Claude paused, blue eyes flickering and hesitatedly as he stared at you. You tilted your head, curious and wary.

Claude a step closer, alarming you to almost stumble back.

"I found it wilting uselessly on my way here." His hand brushed behind your ear and you felt him tuck something there. You froze, hand reaching up and feeling the stem of a flower.

He took a step back and nodded to himself, "It suits you."

His lips twitched in an unsure smirk. When you didn't respond, watched him blank-faced, he grimaced and coughed like something was stuck in his throat.

"I-I should go." He hurriedly turned away, picking up his pace he walked off. The tips of his ears had turned red.

What just happened?

You could almost hear crickets behind you.

You pulled the flower away. Your breath got caught in your throat.

It was a rose. A velvet red rose, freshly plucked.

A flower symbolic for love.

Blood rushed to your cheeks and your ears rang at how hard your heart was thumping.

                            ***

"Athy! Where are you?" You shouted. You pushed your way into the wild bushes and grumbled. "Why is the garden like a freaking forest? Dammit."

You were so caught up in the moment with Claude that you didn't realize when Athy bolted out of your sight. Ether wasn't found either so you couldn't ask for help.

Your cheeks flushed again when your mind flashed moments back.

"Now is not the time!" You grumbled before shouting, "Athy! Sweetheart where are you?"

You pushed back some bushes and stumbled upon her but instead of relief fear washed you.

"Oh, look another one of you." The black-haired stranger turned towards you-- you noticed he had ruby-red eyes -- and cackled in mirth after watching you intensely. "Isn't it interesting? What are the odds of having found two same peculiarities in the same place?"