Their clothes showed they were peasant children but with parents who made sure they were well-clothed. His shirt and breeches were not ratty and her linen dress was well made. Both were barefoot, but what child didn’t like running barefoot on such a beautiful day? She remembered Henry at their ages doing the same in the backyard. 

            “I’m going to catch you, Henry!” the girl shouted. Regina straightened up to hear his name. She believed she was back in the Enchanted Forest somehow and Henry was a common name there, but it seemed strange that she would see a boy with it. 

            The boy—Henry—glanced over his shoulder. “No, you’re not, Hope. I’m still bigger than you.” 

            “But I’m faster!” Hope burst forward, leaping in the air. She landed on her brother, pushing him to the ground. He ended with his back on the ground as she sat on his stomach, triumphant. “Ha! Got you!” 

            “No fair. You tackled me.” Henry was panting. 

            Hope laughed. “I still won.” 

            “Not yet. We have to get back to camp.” Another boy ran up to them. “You know the rules, Hope.” 

            The children circled around Henry and Hope, ignoring her. She reached out, trying to get one to talk with her. Her hand passed right through the young boy closest to her. They couldn’t see her. She was just a witness to whatever this was. 

            Everyone froze as hoof beats grew louder. Henry grabbed his sister’s hand as he told the others to hide. Children dived behind trees and bushes, silent. Henry first hid Hope behind a shrub, motioning her to be quiet, before he darted behind a tree. Just like that, Regina was the only one in the clearing. Not that anyone could see her though. 

            A black stallion broke through the trees and its hooded rider reined him in. Regina recognized him even though his face was obscured—this was Robin. She watched him dismount and lower his hood as blue eyes scanned the clearing. For a moment, she thought he would see her but his eyes darted right past her. He looked the same, though with a proper beard of the scruff he preferred. 

            Robin nodded before letting out a low whistle. Someone—she believed Henry—answered with a low one and Robin let out two quick whistles. It was an all-clear signal, she realized as the children emerged from their hiding places and swarmed Robin. 

            Hope popped up from behind the shrub and raced toward Robin, arms outstretched. She smiled as she called out: “Papa!” 

            Regina’s heart clenched as Robin swung the girl up toward the sky. Hope giggled as he let her fall a bit, catching her again. She wrapped her arms around his neck and rubbed noses with him. “I missed you, Papa.” 

            “I missed you too. Were you a good girl for Mama?” he asked. Hope nodded and Robin narrowed his eyes. “You did all your chores?” 

            “She did, Papa, as did I. That’s why Mama said we could play.” Henry stepped forward, looking at his father. 

            Robin nodded, shifting Hope to his hip so he could pull Henry in for a hug. “Good lad.” 

            “Robin, do you have any stories?” a young boy asked. The other children echoed the question. 

            Chuckling, he nodded. “But I’ll tell them back at camp.”