64. Image of A Mother

Start from the beginning

Athy blinked, looking curious yet skeptical. You smiled, putting your hand on her head and stroking affectionately.

"In fact he loved a lot. Probably he still do. That's the reason why he's a bit unfair to you."

"Really?" Athy placed the squirming Ether on the ground who in turn dashed up on your head. She pouted.

You pinched her soft cheeks, cooing. "But know this, it's not your fault. Your mother loved you and choose you. She never regretted her choice so don't ever feel regretful or guilty about it."

Athy made a awkward expression. You didn't understand why.

You pulled her into your lap making her yelp in surprise. "Be happy Athy, that's all your mother ever wanted for you. That's all I want too."

Athy let you cuddle her and silently listened to your words.

You cupped her face, smiling. "I'm here for you. If you troubled, don't hold it in, tell me. Talk to me. Don't ever suppress your emotions, Athy. You don't need to." You squeezed her cheeks when she didn't say anything. Sternly you looked at her. "Promise me you'd tell me when something is troubling you."

Athy blinked rapidly making you curious to what was going on in her head.

"Well?"

For a moment you swore you heard a sniff before Athy smiled broadly and threw her tiny arms around your neck. "I promise!"

"But I really don't need to see Mommy because I have you." She smiled bashfully, looking a bit flustered.

You stared at her, heart pounding. Feeling immensely happy you blurted out, "O-Of course you have me! Always. I can't leave my cute Goddaughter alone, now can I?"

You picked her up, giddy and happy. "Let's go back. Lily and Felix must be losing their hair worrying about you."

Athy giggled.

You nudged her. "What are you laughing about huh? If they went bald, it'd your fault."

"You worry them too. Even more than Athy!"

You chuckled. "Right. Maybe we'd equal partners in blame if they went bald."

Chatting you brought her back to palace. Felix and Lily were relieved but there was awkwardness between them that lingered till next day.

Next morning to your shock Felix and Lily had pale, tired expression like they didn't sleep last night.

You slapped your forehead in exasperation. These two idiots. You had told them not to worry.

You glanced to the side as silence lingered.

You didn't know how to cut the awkwardness. Especially between you and Lily.

"We should head out now." Felix said, voice strained.

You nodded mutely all while screaming in your head. This is too awkward!

Felix looked in hesitation as Athy came close. He was unsure how to handle her after her outburst yesterday. There was awkwardness between them.

Athy stared at him almost blankly before tugging his pant. "Athy's leg hurts give me piggy back ride."

Felix brighten up, happily picking her up.

You were relieved along with Lily. Thank God! The awkwardness was painful.

"Well, then please return safely." Lily said her smile tight.

"Uh-huh." Felix and Athy had solved their awkwardness. Now it was your turn to smoothen out things with Lily. You decided to go with your typical joking way. "Pray for us to return in single piece-- I mean full human piece with no part missing!"