63. A stifling topic

Start from the beginning

Felix let out a deep sigh and decided to leave. "...Blessings and Glory upon Obelian Empire."

The sound of the door closing made Claude shift his tensed body to find a more comfortable position to no avail.

Felix's words rang in his head annoyingly loud.

Would you dare to run away after all the threats?

Restlessness settled in along with fear. His stomach churned violently at the thought of losing you again.

Dammit.

He leaned forward to rest his elbows on his knees and hold his face. He gritted his teeth, breathing growing shallow each passing second.

I need to see her.

He peered through the curtain of his bangs as a urgent look settled on his face.

His magic flared up, spreading the palace and beyond. It reached out to the Ruby palace and came to staggering halt over a familiar presence. It stayed there, hovering over the peaceful, blissfully unaware girl, reassuring him that his fears were for naught. He was just being paranoid.

Frustrated at himself for harbouring such stupid feelings and fears he brought back his magic and heaved a deep disgruntled sigh.

Claude closed his eyes tightly, burying his face in his palms. Where did it go all wrong? Why did you and him fell apart?

Shaking off his pointless thoughts, he laid back on the sofa hoping to find a escape in his slumber from the bitter reality.

He laid there unable to find the solace of unconscious. Grappling in the feeling of helplessness against the tidal of emotions, he remembered why he erased his memories and annihilated his feelings.

He couldn't forgive himself for letting Diana die. For not saving the one person who cared for him.

He couldn't forgive himself for destroying one genuine bond of friendship he had with you. For believing a backstabbing bitch over you and showing you a cold ruthless side of him he never wanted you to see.

He couldn't forgive himself. He never would. Painful memories had deeply ingrained itself inside his mind, never letting him forget or forgive himself.

Each day guilt chipped away his insides. His regrets killed him little by little each second. His remorse made it hard to breath.

Lost in deep void of self-loathing, despair and guilt, it drove him to dabble in black magic and seal the painful memories and demolishing every feelings.

Funnily enough, even after getting back his memories and re-awaken emotions he still couldn't forgive himself.

How was he supposed to ask you for forgiveness after all he done?

All he could do now was use empty threats to force you to stay by his side and make sure you wouldn't fly off somewhere he couldn't find you.

                            ***

A soft breeze flew through the garden while the shade of the tree loomed over them.

"Thank you for inviting Athy to tea." Athy said, holding her fluffy dress and pretended to bow like a elegant lady.

Look, ain't I cute? Athy thought as she looked expectantly at her expressionless father who showed no reaction to her cute greeting.

Athy swallowed the disappointed sigh. What had she expected? For the apathetic Emperor to be charmed by her cute looks?