Chapter 39

"Great." Nash said relieved. "So can we see him?" I asked anxiously. "Sweetie, I don't know how to tell you this." Mandy said, lowering her voice.

"Tell me what?" I said, shaking.

"Mr. Espinosa is in really bad shape right now. Only immediate family is allowed to see him at this time. But, you are welcome to wait in the waiting room located just outside of the ICU."

"ICU?!" I practically screamed at Mandy. "Zo, calm down. Everything is going to be ok." Nash said trying to comfort me.

"What if it's not?! What if he isn't ok?! It'll all be my fault!" I said starting to cry. Cameron quickly ran over to me and tried to calm me down.

Nash quickly thanked Mandy and we headed down the hall. I was still crying and Cameron was
practically carrying me into the waiting room.

I was laid onto a couch while Nash and Cameron went to find a nurse. Just as Jack, Jack, Taylor, Aaron, and Hayes walked into the waiting room.

Jack Johnson sat down across from me and Taylor sat beside him. Jack Gilinsky sat down in the chair next to the couch I was on while Hayes sat down on the couch with me.

Aaron was currently pacing around the room and trying to contact someone. I wasn't quite sure who, but I didn't bother asking.

I just laid on the couch crying, hoping that I would get to see Matt soon. I hoped that he would be ok.

Cameron reentered the waiting room, but he didn't come sit by us. Instead, he sat on the other end of the waiting room.

A few minutes later, Nash came back in and joined Cameron. They both whispered for awhile, then Nash made his way towards us.

"So?" Hayes said hopefully. "Dad is on his way and I contacted Matt's parents." Nash said sitting down beside Johnson.

"How's Matt?" Gilinsky asked frustrated. "They won't tell us anything." Cameron said joining us.

"Because we aren't 'family'" Nash said running his hands through his hair. "That's ridiculous" Aaron yelled.

"If we aren't considered family then who is?!" Taylor added. "I don't know." Nash said frustrated.

I don't know why, but I was so mad. I guess that just put me over the edge, and I didn't need that.

Suddenly I was up off the couch and out of the waiting room. I didn't realize what I was doing until I got to the front desk.

"Excuse me?" I said to a girl sitting where Mandy had been earlier. "Yes?" she smiled.

"I'm looking for Matthew Espinosa." I said very sternly. "I'm sorry, only immediate family is allowed in at this time." She said sympathetically.

"But I'm his girlfriend!" I blurted out. I didn't even realize what I had said until I saw the reaction on the girl's face.

"Wait, um, I'm not his girlfriend. We broke up because, um, I'm his step-sister." I lied.

"Oh, I see. Um, name?" She asked. "Zoey." I said nervously. The lady typed away on her computer and then filled out a form for me.

I thanked her and waited for a nurse. Once the nurse came she showed me to Matt's room.

I stood outside Matt's door scared about what I would see when I went into the room.

I braced myself and then opened the door.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.