𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐃𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫||𝐑𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐇𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐥𝐞𝐲

"We have computers in our pockets. Telephones in our automobiles. And money on a plastic card. Who here today remembers a time when you had to go into the bank to get your money?" My dad asks the congregation and you'd hear a chuckle here and there.

"You know old Mr Rucker down at Bomont State Bank? Every time you made a deposit, he would give you a piece of Bazooka chewing gum." That really got them laughing. "Now, I haven't yet met an ATM machine that would give me a piece of Bazooka chewing gum. Let alone make me feel special, like Mr Rucker did. Now is that progress?"

I pick at my nails. "I thought he was dead?" I whisper to my best friend, Rusty.

She shakes her head. "My daddy was talkin' about him yesterday." She says. "He moved on from Bazooka to Juicy Fruit years ago."

"Today, more and more, as families, we are tuning each other out. We are either surfing on the internet, texting on our cell phones, or staring mindlessly at a television set." He continues to preach.

"That cute boy is lookin' at you."

"You think everyone's cute, Rusty."

"I know, but he's cuuuuute. Look at 'em. He's got a little tie on. That is so cute." She whispers.

I giggle softly and take a look. "Yeah, he is cute."

"These are the people we need to tune into. Everyone in this church."

------------------------

"So, you gonna convince your dad to let you go to the race track tonight?" Rusty asks. "You can stay over."

"I'll just say we have a big science project due Tuesday. He should go for it." I say, smoothing out the flow of my flowery dress.

"Ah, there she is. Y/N, sweetheart, I want you to meet the Heffleys. They're new in town. This is Rodrick. He's in your grade." My dad says.

I smile. "Hi." I say.

"Hey." He replies, returning the smile.

"I'll let you two talk."

"Nice to meet you." I say and shake his hand.

"Nice to meet you too."

"Rusty!" I say and she comes up to us.

"Yeah?" She asks, looking the boy up and down.

"This is Rodrick." I say.

"Say, me and Y/N were gonna go down to the race track later to see her boyfriend race. You wanna come?" Rusty asks.

"Rusty. He's not my boyfriend."

Rodrick chuckles. "Well, if he's not your boyfriend then I'd be glad to go." He says.

I smile and we go back over to my dad. And I try to work my puppy dog eyes on him.

"Daddy, me and Rusty have a science project due day after t'morrow. Can I stay the night with her?"

"On a school night? Are you sure it's gonna take all night?"

"Rusty? Do you think the science project will take all night?" I ask, getting her attention.

"Sure. At least." She says.

He sighs and looks at my mom. "I guess I don't see why not."

"Awesome! Thanks, Daddy. Bye, Mom."

Rusty and I walk away and leave Rodrick standing there with the biggest smirk on his face.

--------------------------

"And with two laps to go, the leader is car number forty-four, Chuck Cranston!" The announcer says.

"So, what brings you to Bomont? The way you talk about your old town, it's Caesar's Palace compared to here." Rusty says.

"Yeah. The funnest thing to do is bet money on how long my daddy's sermons will go on for." I say.

"Let's hear it for Chuck!"

"Oh, he just won!" I say and cheer.

"Go up there, you get that flag and get that cute ass out here right now!" He says and I laugh. What's wrong in having a little fun?

I steal the checkered flag and the asshole starter yells at me.

"Y/N! What the hell are you doin!?"

"Hammer down, baby!" Chuck says and I jump into his arms. He kisses me. "Come on, now." He nudges me towards his racecar.

"Chuck Cranston! I don't care if your daddy does own this track, you gotta get her outta here!"

"You can chase me down, old man! Chase me down!"

Rodrick's POV

"I thought they weren't together?" I ask sadly.

Rusty sighs in frustration. "They're not. Ever since her brother died, three years ago May, she's been rebellious. I guess you could expect that."

It's kinda hot. Rebellious. "She sure as hell don't act like a preacher's daughter."

Word count- 743

I'm kinda proud of this ngl. This is based off one of my favourite movies, the 2011 Footloose. 10/10 recommend watching it. And I thought for 0.000001 seconds to make it into an actual book thingy but you never know.

XoXo,
RK