forty-two

Radhi POV

"I'm so sorry for forgetting our anniversary and I didn't even get you anything. I'm so sorry!" I kept apologising since we got into our room.

Who would forget their own anniversary and their birthday? It's basically on the same day!

"Radhi, it's okay. I really don't mind. You even forgot your birthday." My lips quivered, holding my guilty tears back.

He was really cool about it. Casually packing our clothes.

How can I forget something so important? He's been amazing with me and I forgot the most important day.

"No, don't you dare cry." Kabeer said with a serious voice and I cried thinking that he's mad at me.

He sighed with a small smile and held me in his arms.

"You are too damn cute. I'm not even upset. I know how hard it was for you, with the things happened, the stress. Don't worry about it, Jaan." He kissed my cheek and pulled me closer.

"I hate it when you're too understanding. You should yell at me!" I slapped his chest, he just stared at me with a small smile.

"I could never get mad at you. This isn't a big deal to yell about, so let's pack, sleep and get back home safe. Okay?" He grinned and continued packing.

How did I get so lucky? He didn't even bitch about it! I'm so disappointed in myself.

The next day

"We're so happy that you guys made time for us." Amma said hugging me tightly.

"Whatever happens, don't ever forget we're with you okay? We're a family. Take care of this monster for us." Appa teared up hugging me and Kabeer pouted for being called a monster.

"I love you guys so much!" I shrieked and hugged them both tightly.

We both got into our flight, again with Kabeer holding me with his dear life. We got home safe and sound.

I got to work and met with the girls after work, gave all of them their gifts. All of them were so happy. Kabeer had back to back meetings, so I couldn't disturb him.

Anu pulled me aside to talk about Bala and I could feel myself getting anxious.

"He took a job somewhere else and moved out of town. It was chaos after I told my dad. You know how much my dad likes you, so it was bad. Don't worry, he won't disturb either you or Kabeer anymore. I'm so sorry again." She said pulling me into a hug.

I let out a huge breath. I felt so relieved.

"Thank you. Thank you so much!" I whispered.

"We've been like sisters since forever. There's nothing I wouldn't do to protect you. You deserve to be happy." She said grinning.

I went back home, showered and made dinner.

I was making mushroom manchurian and waited for Kabeer to come home, so we could eat it with dosa together.

I was sprawled over the couch when Kabeer came in. I was sitting in a weird way and he looked at me, shaking his head.

"And you wonder why you always have back pain." He kissed my head and went to shower.

Well, that's true. I always complain on having back pains but the hips is always Kabeer. That's his fault.

I was making dosa and Kabeer fidgeting around, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly and I looked at him curiously.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" I asked putting dosa on the plate.

"I- okay, this is silly but I got you something." He threw me the paper bag and awkwardly went to the fridge.

I looked at him weirdly and opened the paper bag. My heart dropped.

It's a Spongebob stuffed toy.

"I remember you use to love Spongebob Squarepants when we were younger. So, I thought you would like it but it's okay-"

He rambles, closing the fridge door with his flushed red face.

"I love it." I whispered hugging the stuffed toy.

"You do?" He asked surprisingly.

"Of course I do! You remembered. It was nearly 20 years ago. Even, I don't remember that much." I said with overwhelming emotions.

This man doesn't know what he does to me. The small things he remembers about me.

"Oh god I'm so relieved! I thought it was silly and who would give that as an anniversary gift?" He mumbled to himself and I clung my arms around his neck, kissing the corner of his mouth.

He grinned goofily at me, lazily wrapping his arms around me.

"I would've not mind if you didn't buy me anything, I forgot our anniversary!" I mumbled against his chest and he poked me.

"I told you not to worry about that. As long as you stay with me." He wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"But I still feel bad." I mumbled.

"Ah, we can do something about it later tonight. Like the other day? in my office?" He smirked, wiggling his eyebrows. I blushed, slapping his chest.

We ate together and we were already in bed. Kabeer was ready to lunge on me, with his naughty smile.

"Wait!" I screamed remembering something.

I got down and went through my undies drawer, because that's the only place Kabeer won't go through, I assume.

I bought this for him a while ago. When I knew how I felt but I never gotten a chance to give it to him.

I climbed back to bed and he sat up, leaning his back on the headboard, watching me.

I hand it to him and this was my first time giving him something.

"I bought this a while ago when I knew how I felt about you but I didn't know if you would like it. More like, scared of getting rejected in a way." My face flushed furiously and I could not shake the feeling that he might hate it.

It was a simple silver bangle with his name engraved at the back of it.

I waited him to respond something, anything really. He stayed silent, touching the bangle gently.

"You know what, we can return it back if you don't like it. I still have the receipt but might need some convincing to do-" I stood up wanting to look for the receipt.

He grabbed my hand, pulling me towards him.

"I love it. It's the first gift from my you. Gonna cherish it with my life." He said softly.

I noticed him wearing the bangle on his right hand.

"You really do?" I asked again. What if he didn't like it but saying it for the sake of accepting?

"I really really do. No doubt." He convinced kissing my cheek.

My boobs were swollen by now with Kabeer laying on my chest every night.

I stared at the Spongebob next to me, remembering how much I love this show.

"You know, this is my first stuffed toy. I never thought of buying one for myself. You bought me the first one ever." I whispered, staring at the Spongebob.

He kissed repeatedly on the crook of my chest and I laughed, pushing him away.

"Stop! You're tickling me!" I gasped for air and he kept tickling me until I actually pinched him.

"You want me to pass out? I can't breathe!" He abruptly stopped and grinned goofily.

"So, wanna start the late night action?" He wiggled his eyebrows, naughtily and hovered over me.

And that was it.