twenty-one

We were greeted with smiling faces. Aunt Ardas dramatically pushed Kabeer away and pulled me in for a tight hug.

I hugged her back and glanced at Kabeer who was pouting.

Uncle Abhi proceeded kissing my forehead and both of them pulled me inside.

"Hey, you guys left me alone and I want hugs too!" Kabeer groaned and jogged behind us.

"I hope both of you had a good rest and big stomach because I have prepared a feast for both of you!" Aunt Ardas clapped excitedly.

"Can I call both of you Amma and Appa?" I asked looking at them and both of them smiled at me sweetly.

"Of course you can. You can call us anything you want."

My eyes bulged out at the dishes that were on the big long table.

"Amma, this is way too much food for 4 of us. You shouldn't have troubled yourself. I could've cooked with you if you told me earlier." I didn't expect there would be this much food and it made me guilty knowing that she cooked it all alone.

"No beta, this is nothing for our only daughter! And I have my servants with me. Don't worry. Come on let's dig in!" My heart swelled when she called me her daughter.

"Stop pouting son. You're not a kid anymore but Radhi is my favourite from now on." Appa tapped his shoulder playfully and laughed.

I laughed at Kabeer's and Appa's banter and I almost passed out laughing listening to Kabeer's childhood stories.

He slumped on his chair with a red face. All of us ate happily and after a long time, I was happy to have something that real and genuine as a family.

Amma didn't let me touch a plate and slapped my hand away if I wanted to help.

She asked Kabeer to show me the house around and for a moment I forgot to notice how big their house were.

But it felt homey like Kabeer's.

"Come on, let's see my room." He dragged me upstairs and we walked into his room.

There were vintage Marvel posters and action figures everywhere. I couldn't believe my eyes.

He's a Marvel fan too!

"You have the whole collection? Oh my god." I whispered and touched the action figures softly.

I looked around intently and I can see he had a happy childhood.

There were trophies and certificates hanging on the wall.

I looked at his younger pictures and this one particular picture caught my eye. I picked it up and gave it a closer look.

It was me and the boy.

"Told you I'll be waiting for you." He whispered standing behind me.

"Oh my god. It's you." I turned around with my eyes wide and threw myself on him. He stumbled a little but gave a hearty laugh.

"I can't believe it! You were my only safe space. You were my only friend back then. I remember how hard I cried when you moved away and sad that I didn't know your name. You always kept me safe." I leaned on his chest and wrapped my arms around his torso.

He hugged me back even tightly.

"Those days with you, kept me alive until today. I was lonely, my parents use to work all the time, but after meeting the bubbly you, I became happier and I talked to my parents how I felt. You taught me simple meanings of life even when you were only 6. I wanted to become stronger so that I can protect you always. You never left my memory. I've seen you at your college. The day you graduated. You were always bubbly until you suddenly turned sad. I couldn't found out why but I knew something bothered you. I really wanted to just pull you and give you a hug but I chickened out. You were never a choice because you were always the one for me." He chuckled lightly and kissed my forehead.

"Stalker." I pinched his arm and he yelped.

I couldn't believe it was actually Kabeer.

So, it was his family that moved away. Only if he knew, I prayed for him every night since I fell depressed.

Begging and hoping the boy waited for me.

"I wanted a hug. All along, I just wanted one hug. Any hug I gotten, couldn't replace the protectiveness I got from you. I hated anyone's hug since then. I only wanted you." I whispered and tightened my arms around him.

"That's why I felt safe around you. I knew the feeling was familiar." I pressed my face on his chest. Inhaling his scent and wrapping my head around the reveal.

"You'll always be safe with me, Jaanu. I even went to the gym for you." I chuckled and poked his stomach. He groaned playfully.

Our days went by laughing and poking at each other but I still haven't gotten out my insecure phase and he didn't push me.

He still kisses me on my cheeks and forehead but we haven't done it yet. As if he's giving me space to get myself on track.

I still remember the hot heavy kiss we had and I haven't moved on from it. The lingering touch, the sparks.

I always back myself up when he leans closer and he ends up giving me a smile understandingly. Sometimes, I feel really bad because he's been understanding and gentle.

Maybe one day, I'll be ready.

I was folding our clothes when Kabeer decided to lay his head on my lap and I froze. I slowly leaned back, stopped folding and paid attention to him.

"What happened?"

"I'm exhausted and this weekend is the farewell party for my dad. I have so many things to do and I haven't brought you dress shopping yet. It's a black tie event like my dad requested. He's always dramatic." He mumbled and slowly closed his eyes, dozing off.

I slowly massaged his scalp and he hummed.

"I'm already handling part of the event with Sakshi and Amy. You don't need to worry much and I don't need a dress, I already have something in mind. But I'm still going with the girls." I always hated shopping and knowing Kabeer, he might want to try every dress there is.

And, I cannot model any dress in front of him.

I just stepped up from lose pants to legging and a normal shirt. Even with that he chokes on a cough or turn red and he makes me shy too.

"Okay but buy anything else you want. Take my card and you guys are bringing my driver." He grumbled softly and turned his head around facing my stomach, and nuzzled his head closer.

"I have my own money. I can buy stuff for myself." I mumbled but he looked up lazily.

"No, what's mine is yours. So, just take it." He grumbled.

He lightly snored and I didn't have the heart to move.

He's always strict and serious faced at the office but at home, he's the most gentle and soft guy you would ever see.

No one would believe it's him.

I gently caressed his hair while informing the girls that I'm joining them dress shopping tomorrow.

Uf yes! Finally some alone time. - Sakshi

Ah yes agreed! Kabeer hasn't left her out of his sight! - Anu

Even Radhi is whipped! I haven't seen her not smiling at the office nor complaining on anything! It's a miracle - Amy

Shut up dumbnuts. I'm not whipped and I was just thinking of buying you guys lunch! Maybe not anymore... - me

Okay, I want sushi - Amy

The girls started bickering where to eat and I just chuckled. I looked down saw Kabeer sleeping soundly and I stared at him.

I can't imagine my life without him. Without his smile, without his annoying self,

I think I love him.