Elegance (preview)

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, you're right. Let's go find Mako."

...

Oh no, oh no, oh no.

I can't find Mako anywhere! Pabu and I looked everywhere. I even went to Air Temple island to ask Korra if she knew where Mako went, but Jinora said she went off with Mako!

Pema offered for me to stay for dinner and wouldn't let me say no. So after dinner, I went into the city to look for my brother and Korra again, but still no luck. So now Pabu and I are sitting here on a corner bench, and I have no idea what to do, AND I'M FREAKING OUT!

Why would you leave me, Bolin? And where the heck did Mako and Korra disappear to?

"Hey, you!" I look up to see A man with a bullhorn on a small, rickety, wooden stage decorated with pictures of some guy in a mask. I walk across the street and approach him.

"Where you talking to me?" I ask.

"Yes, young sister. The Revolution is upon us."

"The Revolution?"

"Yes, I see you've been marked by a bender," he says, and I look down at my scarred hands. "The Revolution is for people who have had it with benders. It's time for the world to be rid of them."

I think I know where Bolin is.

"Oh yes, I agree, but I've never heard of this."

"Well, there's a rally tonight, led by Amon, the leader of the resistance. You should come."

"Where is it?" I ask the protester.

"At the old factory. Take a flyer."

"Thanks."

"DOWN WITH BENDERS!"

"Yes! Um, down with benders!" I yell back awkwardly.

I have no idea where Korra or Mako is, so I guess it's up to me to find Bolin.

"Pabu, I need you to go home." I take the little ferret
off my shoulder and he scurries in the direction of home. I think Bolin is in trouble, and since Mako and Korra are missing in action, it's up to me to save Bolin.

...

Standing in a stadium with a crowd full of people who want to get rid of benders is nerve-raking, but seeing the man in the mask taking away a person's bending is beyond terrifying. I can't bend, but I'm still technically a bender, and that little spark of hope I had left with being able to use my hands to bend again is slowly dying out now that I see with my own eyes what this man is capable off.

After taking away four men and a woman's bending away, I look in horror as I watch the next set of benders are pushed onto the stage in front of Amon. I'd recognize those green eyes anywhere.

Bolin! Ok Li, think.

I frantically look around to see what I can do to get my brother out of here, but I can't -

Korra! What is she doing here?

I spot a tall young girl with dazzling blue eyes and broad shoulders make her way to the exit. I immediately try to walk in the direction of where she is going, but there are so many people.

Ugh, why can't people just move!

I make my way into the hallway and I see Korra go into another area where the pipes and what not's are.

"-Umm, the bathroom." I follow the sound of voices and peek around the corner to see a big buff dude in front of Korra, who looks like she's about pee her pants. I can tell when she sees me. Here eyes keep shifting over to me.

I turn back to the hallway I walked down and breath in deeply. I look around and spot a heavy piece of wood perched against the wall.

How convenient.. Now come on, Li! It's now or never.

I run toward the security guard who is now fighting with Korra, and I, without hesitation, bash him over the head with the chunk of wood I found. He falls to the ground out cold and with a huge thud.

"I-I-"

"Thank you so much! What are you doing here?!" Korra babbles while taking me into her arms.

"I was trying to save Bolin! I looked everywhere for you guys, but when I found out about this rally, I figured Bolin was taken here, and I decided to take matters into my own hands. I hope you're not mad at me," I blush. "I can't believe I just did that! Is he going to be ok?!"

"Mad? I'm proud of you! You saved me," she exclaims and hugs me again. "He'll be fine! Now come on, let's go get Mako and Bolin, and let's get out of here."

"How are we going to get Bolin?" I asked worryingly.

"Leave that to me." She turns to the pipes and slashes them in half. In here and in the rest of the factory, it's suddenly engulfed in a thick layer of fog.

Good thinking, Korra.

...

To read more, check out 'Elegance,' now available on my profile!