Chapter 32: The Rebels

I wanted this to end. But this wasn't the way to go about things. I am a Jedi, not a Sith. We don't have to continue this. I know what he did in the past, but I can't hold grudges against anyone, it's not healthy nor was it the Jedi way.

"We don't have to continue fighting, Maul. I'm sorry for what happened in the past." I mentioned. "...I've forgiven what you've done."

I looked down at Maul, awaiting his answer. He remained silent for several moments. Then finally, he let out a laugh, baffling me. That's not the reaction I was hoping for, but I should have seen it coming since this was Maul.

"You cut off my hand, then you ask to stop fighting. You are a complete contradiction." Maul rebuked.

"Why are you so loyal to the Sith? You were replaced by Sidious the very moment you were thought gone." I shot back.

"I am not with the Sith anymore. The Sith, like you and Kenobi, took everything from me." He corrected. "Vengeance is the only thing driving me now. I'll kill every last one of you, even if it's the last thing I do."

"So be it. I gave you a chance." I mentioned.

Reluctantly, I turned my lightsabers back on. They let out loud hums as the blades shot up. I lifted up my lightsabers, prepared to take on Maul. He slowly climbed up on his feet before he snatched his lightsaber from the ground with his left hand. He cautiously made his way towards me. With his one good arm, he raised his lightsaber towards me. I swiftly and elegantly blocked his attacks, pushing him back. Maul let out a frustrated growl as he twirled his blades up towards my shoulders, but I dodged in time, spinning around him. I quickly swung the blades, impaling his stomach. Once I whipped around, I saw him on his knees, his left arm, clutching over his wound, while his lightsaber lied on the ground beside him. I walked over towards Maul, who weakly looked up at me.

"You won't get away with this. I shall be avenged." Maul warned. "And this time you won't live."

"I look forward to that meeting." I retorted as I knelt down so we were eye to eye.

I watched as the light left his eyes before he hung his head, collapsing onto the ground. His words still rang in my head. No doubt he meant Vorlega. My heart clenched. If the Vorlega variant was truly out there, then she wouldn't stop until she found us. And unlike Vader, Vorlega knew about Obi and Stass, which meant they weren't safe with Suu and Cut. I need to take them with me. Knowing Suu's and Cut's kids wouldn't want to see this, I grabbed Maul's body, dragging him a good distance away from the house before burying him. Despite what Maul did to me in the past, he deserved a burial. Once I had finished, I left, taking his lightsaber before storming off, making my way into the city. The city was filled with ancient looking buildings and throngs of people as they moved about. Most walked on foot, while others drove in speeder bikes or on the backs of eopies. How in the Force was I going to find them?

"Mom!" Two familiar voices rang out.

I spun around around upon hearing those voices. I spotted Stass and Obi amongst the crowd, running towards me. Trailing behind them were Shaeeah, Jek, Cut, and Suu along with Snips, Fang, and Kiara. I extended out my arms. Once Stass and Obi approached me, they wrapped their arms around me, hugging me. As soon as we pulled away from the hug, Obi spoke up. "Suu and Cut told us that you're gonna leave us with them."

I could see their hurt looks. My heart clenched. I didn't want to hurt them, I just wanted to protect them from getting hurt or worse...killed. Perhaps I should tell them the truth. I wanted to keep them in the dark for their own good. But they won't understand why I'm doing this until I tell exactly them what's going on. My face fell. "I'm sorry, I was going to...for your own safety."