Chapter 14: So This Is It

After a while of resting, Sylvie, Seda, Loki, and I made our way out of the cave, heading towards the city. As we walked, Loki spoke up. "You know, I don't I've ever walked this much in my life."

"Really?" I questioned, rather baffled. 

"That's a pretty good life." Sylvie replied.

"Well, you're lucky you missed it." Loki mentioned.

"Why? Being in a palace on Asgard sounds like paradise." I pointed out.

"I assure you it was anything but paradise." Loki informed me before looking over at me. "You ever walked this much?"

"Of course. I was a General in the Clone Wars. I went days without resting." I explained.

Loki stared at me, completely taken back. "How in the Nine Realms did you survive?"

I shrugged. "I was trained for it. I've been in worse situations."

Like being tortured and brainwashed, but I decided not to mention those things, because they were still painful to me. Loki then changed the subject, which I was grateful for. "Here's an idea. What if you enchanted me and you could walk for the both of us. Or I take a nap in my subconscious, and then you could just wake me when we arrive. Yeah?"

"Yeah, that's not how enchantment works." Sylvie replied.

"All right, how does it work?" Loki asked.

Sylvie shook her head. "Doesn't matter."

"You know, I feel like I've told you so much about me. I really don't know the first thing about you." Loki stated.

"Thanks for the tactical advantage." Sylvie rebuked.

"Ah, so, you want to use that tactical advantage to kill me when the TVA shows up." Loki retorted.

Sylvie raised an eyebrow. "Worried, are you?"

"I just need to know if I can trust you." Loki clarified.

"You know trust goes both ways." I chimed in.

Sylvie let out a sigh. "Okay, fine. You want to know how enchantment works. I have to make physical contact and then grab hold of there mind."

"How?" Loki asked.

"It depends on the mind. Most are easy and I can over take them instantly. Others, the stronger ones, it gets tricky. I'm in control, but they're there, too. In order to preserve the connection, I have to create a fantasy from their memories." Sylvie explained.

"And you call me a magician." Loki mentioned.

"That young soldier from the TVA, her mind was messed up. Everything clouded. I had to pull a memory from hundreds of years prior, before she even fought for them." Slyvie informed us.

Wait, what? Loki and I both froze at her words. "What?"

"What'd you just say? Before she joined the TVA?" Loki asked.

Sylvie nodded. "Yeah. She was just a regular person on Earth."

"A regular person?" Loki repeated.

"Loved margaritas." Sylvie added.

"Wait, Loki and I were told that everyone who works for the TVA was created by the Time-Keepers." I protested.

Sylvie scoffed. "That's ridiculous. They're all Variants."

"Just like us." Seda added.

I was taken back upon hearing their words. The hunters and people like Mobius are actually Variants? It was all hard to wrap my mind around.