Chapter 8: Nothing Matters

Loki and I both nodded. So with that, we then followed Mobius to Pompeii, Italy in the year 79 A.D. on the planet called Earth. Mobius, Loki, and I hid in an arch, watching the people in the marketplace go about their business. People wore simple tunics and sandals as they wandered about or talked to one another. Some wore gold leaf crowns. There were several simple buildings, decorated with some red paint that was fading away. In the marketplace, there was was a cart filled with goats. By the cart, there were baskets filled with fruits, vegetables, bread, and other food. Not far from us stood a huge volcano, which was about to erupt, killing everyone here.

Loki whispered. "Here we go."

"Shh, any minute now." Mobius advised.

"Until this entire town is wiped off the planet. Imagine. All that volcanic ash..." Loki commented.

"Why are you so excited about this?" I questioned.

"This is our theory, our idea. Of course I'm excited." Loki argued. 

"Yes, but these people are about to die." I protested.

"Storm's right. We don't want to get too giddy." Mobius advised.

Loki groaned. "Oh, come on. It's cool!"

"No, it is cool, but it's just not good taste, because...well like Storm said--" Mobius insisted.

"They're all gonna die anyway." Loki blurted out.

I stared at Loki in disbelief. "Can you have just a bit of sympathy for them?"

"Nope." Loki replied without hesitation, causing me to sigh.

"I know. Now listen, I'm gonna watch the TemPad for any variance energy." Mobius informed us.

Loki nodded. "Okay."

"Okay, because we gotta be careful. If you're wrong, and there's a good chance you are, anything we do can create a huge branch." Mobius reminded us.

"Oh Mobius! You make even the end of the world sound boring." Loki mentioned.

"Listen, we're not meant to be here." Mobius scolded. "Okay?"

"Okay." Loki and I said at the same time.

"Anything we do can impact the course of history. Do you get that?" Mobius questioned.

"Yes." Loki confirmed.

"So we're gonna start with very small disturbances." Mobius informed us.

"Very small." Loki repeated.

"Can you make bird noises?" Mobius asked.

Loki raised an eyebrow. "Bird noises?"

"Yeah, bird noises. Like some whooshing noises." Mobius explained.

Loki and I both stared at Mobius. Loki let out a scoff before gently grabbing my hand, pulling me out into the marketplace. I heard Mobius shouting out. "Loki! Storm! Loki!"

But Loki didn't stop as we reached the cart filled with goats. He lifted me up onto the side of the cart before climbing up next to me. I glanced over at Mobius to see a worried look on his face. I looked back at Loki, rather concerned. If we were wrong, then there would be terrible consequences.

"Loki, this isn't exactly a small disturbance." I mentioned.

"Don't worry. None of this will matter." Loki assured me.

Without a warning, he opened the cart, allowing the goats to wander out into the marketplace. I watched as the goat herder, scrambled out, trying to grab the goats.