What Did You Do, Steven?

Steven wakes up the next morning and though he has a full night sleep, he feels barely rested. He gets up out of bed and changes into a new set of clothes. It's not what Steven is used to wearing but it's functional and comfortable.

As soon as he gets dressed, he hears a knock on the door.

"Come in," Steven says.

When the door opens, Sarah walks into the room.

"Hi, can you talk?" Sarah asks quietly.

He can tell from her expression that this will be a serious conversation.

"Of course," Steven says automatically.

She walks over to his bed and sits with her legs crossed. She is trying to put into words what she has to say.

"Dad, Wanda, Nat and Sam are going on the run. They don't want to take advantage of T'Challa's hospitality more than they already have. Shuri is helping both JJ and Uncle Bucky and that is more than they could have hoped for," Sarah says.

He knows his cousin better than almost anyone in the world so he knows that this is just the beginning of what she has to say.

"You want to go with them," Steven says.

It's not a question. He can already tell that that is what she wants.

"T'Challa is about to compete to be king. We know what happens after that. I thought we were invincible but then JJ had his accident. We aren't as safe as we thought in this timeline. Just because we know what's going to happen, doesn't mean we are safe from it. I don't want my family in the same country as Killmonger. I want you and JJ to come with me," Sarah says.

"But what about JJ? Shuri is helping him here," Steven says.

"I'd rather him never remember us again than have him die," Sarah says.

Steven remembers his conversation with Strange. He knows now that changing things isn't always the best case scenario.

"When do you want to leave?" Steven asks.

"Everyone wants to leave tonight before the coronation tomorrow. It took awhile for me and Nat to convince dad to let us go but eventually he conceded," Sarah says.

Steven knows the best move is for the three of them to leave with Uncle Steve but he just wishes that Shuri had more time to work on JJ. He knows that he will probably just have to show JJ his past even if that isn't best case scenario.

"Is Uncle Steve alright with us bringing JJ?" Steven asks.

"Dad says it's up to him," Sarah says.

Steven sighs because JJ is such a loose cannon right now. He has no idea if he'll be able to convince JJ to follow a bunch of strangers.

"Alright, I'll talk to him," Steven says.

Sarah leaves soon after that and heads over to JJ's room.

After Shuri ran some tests, she stated that JJ was physically fine. All his current issues are entirely mental. She discharged him and he was granted his own room. It was the first time that JJ and him haven't shared a room. However, Steven acknowledges that they are fifteen years old and are probably too old to be sharing a room anyways.

Steven gets to JJ's door and knocks. There is a long pause before JJ tells him to come in. JJ looks at him warily when he walks in. He still saw Steven as an utter stranger.

"Oh, hi," JJ says.

Steven walks over to the couch that JJ is sitting on and gestures to the seat next to him.