Let Me Go

"We can come with you, you know?" JJ says.

Sarah stands in front of them in a simple black dress.

"I appreciate that, but you guys need to prepare to get Zemo. We already have a plan. I will get a ride from the funeral from Natasha to Vienna. If you guys fail in stopping him, I will protect the people in the UN from the blast," Sarah says.

She has been mentally preparing herself for this day. She doesn't know how she is going to get through the day between the funeral and the UN bombing. She is very hopeful that they can at least stop the bombing.

Steve notices how on edge his daughter is on the plane as she sits between him and Sam.

"Are you okay, honey?" Steve asks sympathetically.

She's been really struggling with Peggy's death. He thinks it's because she's realizing that she's less and less likely to make it home to her actual mother.

He is glad that she's stuck here though. He feels incredibly selfish for hoping she never finds a way back but he can't lose her. He is trying to compensate for the missing mother in her life but he knows he's failing.

"I miss mom," she says quietly.

Sam gets up so they can have this talk in private. He knows that whatever they are about to say is not meant for his ears.

"I know," Steve says sadly.

He knows that she didn't mean it as an insult to him, not at all, but he still can't help but feel like a failure for not being enough for her.

She can hear her dad's disappointment. She knows that he is trying so hard to be the best father he can be and he is such a good father.

"But I'm so happy I have you," Sarah says.

He gives his daughter an affectionate smile. He can't take credit for the wonderful daughter he has but he is so blessed to have her. He leans over and presses a kiss to the crown of her head.

He knows today is going to be bad but he's glad that they will have each other to lean on.

When they arrive, Steve leaves Sarah with Sam because he is one of the pallbearers.

"How you doing little Rogers?" Sam asks when they are seated.

"I know she's not my mom just like Steve is not my dad but they still are my mom and dad. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense but they are the same people at their core. It feels like I just lost my mom even more than I already had," Sarah says.

"Parents don't have to be the people who made you," Sam says.

Their conversation is cut short by the ceremony starting.

Sarah sees her dad carrying in the casket and she can tell he's been crying. She knows he's been trying to be strong for her so he hasn't let her see him cry once. Her dad is her hero but she wishes he didn't feel like he always had to be strong for her.

Steve places the casket at the front and rejoins his daughter. When he sits, she grabs his hand in comfort.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words," the pastor says.

Steve is looking down at his daughter so he doesn't notice the woman at the podium at first. Sam is watching though and nudges Steve. He looks up to see his old neighbor, Kate, but apparently that's not even her name. She glances at Steve before taking a deep breath and begin her speech.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD . . . but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related," Sharon says.