Developing Attachments

The trio look up as Natasha and Steve enter the room.

"Have you concluded if we are evil or not yet?" JJ asks sarcastically.

"Lose the attitude kid," Natasha says.

"Don't worry, it's just his defense mechanism. He's usually not this rude," Sarah says.

He scowls at her but quickly looks back to the adults. He is about to open his mouth for another sarcastic remark when Steven interrupts him.

"Have you decide what you are going to do with us?" Steven asks.

"We would like for you to stay here and work on your training. I need you on your best behavior though and if we are training you, you're really going to have to try," Steve says.

"We're not avengers," Sarah says.

"No, you're not. The team doesn't trust you yet and you're too young. How old are you?" Natasha asks.

"We're about to be fourteen. Sarah is only about a month younger than us," Steven explains.

Natasha knows it's a little hypocritical because she was doing very bad things at fourteen but she doesn't want them to go down that path. She knows Steve is already pinning a lot of hope on these kids so Natasha will do whatever it takes to make sure everything works out.

"Are you in school?" Natasha asks.

"Our parents home school us but you really shouldn't worry about educating us because Sarah and Steven are certifiable geniuses and I contribute my looks and wit to the team," JJ says.

Ever since JJ found out he was dyslexic, Steven and Sarah have noticed that he always down plays his intelligence. He is very smart but it's just harder for him to read. If he is taught verbally, he has almost a photographic memory.

"Well, we should still try to work on some studying in between training. Follow us," Steve says.

He takes them through the compound and shows them various areas like the training center and the gym.

"What's that?" JJ asks.

Pointing at an object in one of the many rooms. He saw a similar thing in the room they were kept in before.

"It's a computer. You can do lots of things on them like search for things or use it to design things. It does a lot, actually. It took me awhile to figure out new technology when I got out of the ice but you'll get there," Steve assures them.

They continue to walk through the facility with wide eyed amazement. Steven has seen this place hundreds of times in his visions but it's nothing like seeing it in person.

"Can we go in there?" Steven asks.

He sees a room full of things he's never seen before and is instantly fascinated by it.

Steve wants to take them in but Tony barred the kids from the labs. Steve could take them in because he has access but he doesn't want to go against Tony's wishes.

"Maybe another time," Steve says kindly.

"That means we aren't allowed in. Are we prisoners here?" JJ asks.

Natasha keeps walking forward and doesn't look at him as she answers.

"Call it probation. You're not exactly winning any points with the snark, kid," Natasha says.

"Jay, calm down," Sarah says.

When Sarah said that this was a defense mechanism, she was completely right. He feels responsibility for Sarah and Steven because he's the one who came up with this plan. If something happens to them, it will be all his fault. If it was just his uncle here, he's be more comfortable but he doesn't trust the others.