Dangerously Stupid

JJ was beginning to get frustrated. He knew Steven was hiding stuff from him. Whenever he would ask Steven about his powers, he would vaguely say 'visions'.

It had been over a year since they got their abilities and he still had no idea how Steven's worked. Sarah and JJ trained everyday outside but Steven always just sat silently as his eyes glowed blue.

Little did JJ know that Steven was training in his own way. The first vision that came to him was the life of his parents, Uncle Steve and Aunt Peggy but that was just the tip of the iceberg of what he could see.

The life they were living was just one possible outcome in an infinite number of realities.

He was currently watching a reality where mom was never born and Uncle Steve was an only child. When Uncle Steve came back in time to be with Aunt Peggy, dad didn't come back with him. Steven, JJ and Natasha were never born.

It was hard watching his dad in this reality because he's seen how he looks at mom. She is his happiness and without her, he seems almost directionless. Like there is something or someone important that is missing from his life that isn't Uncle Steve.

Steven was sitting cross legged in the clearing, eyes unseeing, as Sarah and JJ trained together.

She was throwing different objects in the air with her telekinesis and JJ was using his teleportation to jump from object to object. They know their mothers would kill them if they saw them doing this but they loved training with one another.

They even have started doing some fight training. Steve and Bucky had been adamant about not teaching their kids to fight using their powers. Bucky has taught them to fight in the past but since they got their powers, he hasn't given them a single sparring lesson.

JJ looks over at his brother and sees he's still in that stupid trance. He wishes Steven would train with them. He may not have the same physical abilities as them but ever since they got their powers, all of them were faster and stronger. Steven might even be able to beat JJ in a spar if he didn't use his teleportation.

He teleports beside Steven and waits for his eyes to turn back to his normal shade of blue. He knew better than to try to wake him from his trance. Apparently his powers protect him when he's having visions.

Dad learned that the hard way. He tried to bring Steven out of his trance and his powers lashed out and threw him into a wall. Luckily his father is pretty durable.

Eventually Steven blinked rapidly as he came out of it.

"What did you see?" JJ demands.

Steven is surprised to see JJ standing right next to him.

"A vision," is all Steven says.

JJ was sick of the evasiveness and he was determined to find out what Steven was hiding.

"Of the future?" JJ asks.

Steven has been working on trying to see visions of the future but the most progress he has gotten was a minute into the future. It seems that most of his power is focused on the past.

"No," Steven says.

"The past then," JJ assumes.

Steven stands up and turns from his brother. He knows that if he asks the right questions, he will spill everything to his brother. He wasn't a good liar, especially when he was asked direct questions.

At this point, Sarah walks over after noticing the tension between the brothers.

Steven's silence just confirms JJ's assumption that Steven was getting visions of the past. There must be something important that happened in the past that Steven is hiding from him. Steven wouldn't hide something from him unless it was necessary. What could Steven possibly want to hide about the past? It must not be something you could read in a history book so it must be personal.