57. Conflicted Thoughts.

Comenzar desde el principio

Your head hung low in shame and guilt. You shook your head. It wasn't his fault. Felix was just doing his duty towards the throne as a knight. How could you even fault him for that?

"I'm sorry. You have nothing to apologise for. It was me. It's all on me. Maybe if I had stayed things would have been different. But it's too late to regret it, isn't it?" You said in hushed voice, apologising was the only thing you could do to repent.

Felix chuckled again, his warm big hand still stroking your head. A warm smile formed on his lips. "It's alright. It was past, let's forget it and start new. Now that you have returned we have lots of time to reconnect."

Your cheeks flushed at the tenderness of his voice and kindness in his eyes. It's been a while since you felt so safe, so comforted. The weight of guilt and regret lifted from your shoulder and made you sag in lightness.

You were happy to come clean with the situation, even though you weren't completely honest with him.

"Sure." You finally smiled. "I'd love to talk to you but I should get going. Everyone in Ruby palace must be worried especially Lily and Athy. They must be thinking I'm dead or something. Can't blame them even I thought I was going to die!" You laughed.

Felix was silent. You stared at him in confusion. Oops! You shouldn't have said that about Claude. Felix's loyalty lied with Claude. Of course he'd be upset.

You scratched your cheeks and smiled apologetically, "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I didn't mean to upset--"

"His majesty would never hurt you, (Y/n)." Felix said firmly with serious expression. "You're someone really special to him, someone he cherishes a lot."

Felix's words continued to ring in your ear long after Felix left giving you a meaningful smile.

                  ****

The moment you entered Ruby palace you were bombarded with questions.

Lily was relieved to see you unharmed. She aske you bunch of questions. She was afraid, with your eccentric personality, you might've offended the Emperor. Her worries weren't wrong.

You had quite the mouth on you but before things could get bad for you the meeting was cut short. Thank God for that.

"(Y/n)!"

Tiny hands wrapped around your waist and warm, soft body was pressed against you.

You chuckled and stroked Athy's head as she nuzzled herself against you.

"Aww, were you worried for your Godmother?" You cooed, picking up Athy.

Athy hesitated for a second before nodding, "Papa is scary! Athy thought he would hurt you."

"My adorable Athy," You bonked her nose making her scrunch up her face cutely. "it would take more than a scary person to hurt me. Don't underestimate your Godmother. I can kick butts!"

Athy giggled, strained. "(Y/n) is so cool!"

"So is my brave little Athy!" You spun her around making her squeal and cling to you.

Lily worriedly called out. "Be careful!"

"You worry too much Lily. Here, let me help you!"

Your eyes twinkled as you looked at her. Lily paled slightly, stepping back but before she could run you grabbed her and spun her along, dipping at the last moment.

"So, Lily were you saying something?" You asked sweetly, still keeping her in dipping position with your arms around her waist. Athy was clutching your back like a koala, giggling.

"You," Lily flushed and frowned at you. "How can you be so...so troublesome!"

You smirked devilishly. "You haven't seen troublesome yet Lily."

Lily scrambled back as you pulled away from her, Athy instill giggling on your back.

"Lily's face is red!" Athy giggled and Lily's face flushed even more.

"It's time for High Highness to take nap." Lily declared, reverting back to her Mother hen mode.

Athy pouted. She looked at you pleadingly. "Will you tell me your adventures stories?"

You gave in, weak to her puppy eyes.

Two tales after Athy fell asleep. You stayed by her side, stroking her hair. Until you deem it was safe to leave.

You wanted time to think. You had lot of stuff on your mind. You plopped on your bed with heavy sigh

Your mind wandered back to Felix's words. You knew Felix was close to Claude and was the only one person who might understand Claude little bit.

You chewed on your lips. So was Felix right? Did Claude really cared for you more than you think?

A small hope flickered alive in your heart.

Could it really be that the ending won't be same. That Claude wouldn't end up killing you or Athy?

"I changed the whole timeline. Does that mean this Claude won't be same as that Claude..."

You murmured, falling back on the bed. You didn't want to have false hope. Hope that could end up destroying you like before.

But you couldn't stop your heart from beating in longing and hope.

You blankly stared at the ceiling, reflecting back to your meeting with Claude.

He was so emotionless. So detached. As if he had severed any connection to the world and couldn't careless about anything.

His eyes..the light in them had extinguished. There was no emotion in them, just endless pit of darkness. As if depth of ocean with no bottom, filled with only icy water.

Your heart throbbed, feeling it clench in pain.

You groaned, turning to your side. "Dammit! Stupid heart..."

Tears continued to pool in your eyes the more you thought of Claude and the empty vacancy in his blue eyes

Your hurriedly wiped your eyes. Goddammit! Why were feeling so much sympathy for him? Why couldn't your heart stop wavering for him? Just what was wrong with you.

Hard as you tried, you couldn't get rid of thoughts of him rest of the night.