57. Conflicted Thoughts.

Start from the beginning

He was a convoluted puzzle you only hoped to solve one day.

But after the impulsive stunt you pull back then, running away on that night. Everything you built up came crashing down, crumbling into nothing but dust because of the truth that was kept hidden.

A possible reality you despised so much.

Looking at Felix's smiling face sudden guilt overwhelmed you.

"Why aren't you mad, Felix?"

Felix tilted his head, blinking in confusion.

"Why aren't you angry with me? I left without a word." You said, desperation laced your tone. "I selfishly ran away leaving everyone hanging. Disappeared on you with no explanation. You should be mad at me!"

Those words came from the guilt and regrets you had accumulated through the years. The brash, impulsive action kept haunting you.

How could have you ran away from everyone who cared about you despite knowing the grieving you'd cause them?

Felix's smile slipped off. He stared at you with unnatural seriousness that didn't suit his usual soft smiling face.

Your guilt intensified. Your blinked hard as your eyes burnt with need to shed tears.

"That's right, Felix you shouldn't be smiling at me. I.. I caused you so much pain. That assuming you weren't relieved to have me out of your hair 'cause I'm annoying, according to that jerk..." Sniffling, you cracked up a teary smile. Despite the seriousness of the situation you couldn't help the tease.

"(Y/n)."

Your straighten up at his grave tone. You ready yourself to face the resentment, the bitterness you caused.

Felix chuckled, good-heartedly. He placed his hand on your head, affectionately stroking "Is that what was bothering you? Don't trouble yourself with it because I'm not mad at you. I was quite grief stricken when I found you were dead but I'm happy to have you back safe and sound."

You looked up in disbelief. Felix's face was devoid of anger or bitterness you expected.

"I think I understand why you left."

Your eyes widened. The lump in your throat grew bigger and it was difficult to breath. Does he know..?

"It was your dream, wasn't it?" Your frowned and Felix smiled at your confusion, kindness warming his features. "Traveling the world was your dream, wasn't it? Plus, your hate for the royalty and nobles was bound to drive you away from us. It was only matter of time you left us to pursue your dreams. It happened just as His Majesty predicted."

"He what?" You blinked at his last words.

"His majesty would be mad at me if he found I told you this." A cheeky smile curled up his lips, his expression lighting up mischievously as if he was about to share a big secret. "But it was His Majesty who told me this. It was causal musing, of course. A absent-minded thought he accidentally shared with me. He had feared you would leave us, and it always distressed him despite him not showing it to you."

Your looked at him skeptical and mumbled under your breath. "Really? Doesn't sound like him.."

Even though you were doubtful, your heart involuntarily skipped a beat. The thought that Claude was worrying for you was perplexing and unbelievable. And yet. You scolded yourself for feeling so warm. It seem your lingering feeling for Claude was deeper than you anticipated.

Felix nodded. "However neither I nor his majesty expected to part ways like that. With you faking your death and running away without saying goodbye. It did hurt me. It definitely hurt his majesty but we understood your reason." Felix grimaced. "That night what you saw, you weren't suppose to witness it. The rebel was so sudden we didn't had time to warn you or evacuate you to safe place. So we are partially responsible too. You must have been so scared. I really apologise, (Y/n)."