Mort Rainey (Fluff/Dark)

Requested by Mrs-Aizawa!

MORT'S POV

Sighing heavily, I tossed the pen down on the desk and put my face in my hands. The brightness of the laptop burned through the cracks of my fingers, searing my already tired eyes.

     "Mort, honey, what's wrong?" Y/N asked, their voice interrupting my thoughts.

      Y/N would occasionally come to my cabin with me when I took breaks from writing. They were so sweet, sometimes I wondered why they were even with me.

       Ninety percent of the time we spent together was bored to death because of me poring over my new book, which I had no ideas for at the moment.

        They would cook meals when I forgot to eat.  Y/N would also beg me to walk outside with them to get some air every so often.

         Seriously, what does Y/N even see in-

         "Mort, you're spacing out again," they said gently, taking my hands and holding them firmly.

         "Sorry, Y/N," I muttered, clearing my throat, "I just need a word, an idea, something, to help me out. It's been months and I still don't have a story."

          Y/N leaned in, gently kissing my forehead. Their lips felt like pillows on my skin. "Take a break, Mort. Okay? It's not a question."

           "Okay." Well, that was me told. Y/N was usually the more dominant one in our relationship, although sometimes I liked to call the shots.

             They pulled me up out of the chair. I winced as I realized exactly how long I must've been sitting for.

             Y/N looked around the room to try and see what we could do, when their eyes narrowed.

             "What's-oh."

             I started as I saw their eyes land on a black wide brimmed hat. The black wide brimmed hat.

             Slowly I let go of one hand, my fingers twitching. They picked it up off the dresser. "Where did you get this hat, Mort? I've never seen you wear it."

             Oh, I wear it alright.

            "It's just a random thing I got from a friend. It's a joke, honestly."

           No, it's not.

            Y/N put it on and faced me, smirking smugly. "How do I look?"

             My heart racing, I cleared my throat. Just be normal.

             The hat definitely suited their personality. They should wear hats more often when they look that good in them.

              "You look great. It suits you."

              Y/N grinned, oblivious to my twitching fingers and sheer panic. "I definitely wear it well."

             Technically, that person isn't me, so if anything were to happen to Y/N, I wouldn't be responsible.

              Exhaling slowly, my heart gradually slowed. I glanced over at the mirror nearby, a glint in my eyes.

              "And so do I."

*I know I said I'm on a hiatus, but this idea came to me last second and I really wanted to post it!